Thursday, August 27, 2015

Seaweed fish food


I've been feeding my fish all the time with commercially available fish food. My fish deserve some home made fish food! What ingredients are good to make fish food? There is an abundance of seaweed in oceans, lakes and rivers. I will give it a try!
Collect fresh seaweed from the water.
Rinse seaweed under running water.
Spread thin layer of seaweed on a clean flat surface.
Let it dry while you are having fun on the beach.
The dry seaweed is still too tough for my guppies. 
At home I cut the dry seaweed into small even sized pieces.
Preheat oven for about 5 - 10 minutes to 200 F (about 95 C).
Cover a baking sheet with tin foil.
Spread thin layer of seaweed on the baking sheet.
Bake the seaweed for about 3-5 minutes.
Remove the seaweed from the oven to test if it's done.
You should be able to easily grind baked seaweed between your fingers into powder.
Otherwise, bake it longer. And then test it again.
Grind the baked seaweed into powder. I do it with my hands.
Place ground seaweed in a container to keep it dry and away from light.
At the regular feeding time give some of the seaweed to your fish instead of regular food. Some of the seaweed powder will stay on the surface of the water and some may sink to the bottom of the tank. It takes about 10 minutes for my fish to consume the seaweed. Nothing left even on the bottom of the tank. Looks like my fish likes the seaweed!
I am going to feed my fish with seaweed every other feeding time or so.
Have fun and happy fish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment