Thursday, December 15, 2016

Sweet Potato Aquaponics


Thanks to your comments, I was able to identify this plant as the Ornamental Sweet Potato. 


Check the previous blogpost for more details!

November 6th, 2016.
This part of the plant was cut from the middle of the branch. It means that both ends of the branch were cut off. There are two leaves.
 I placed it in a cup of water with fish poop (natural fertilizer) in it on November 2nd, 2016. And look! It is already sporting nice roots.
 Now I want to place it with roots directly in the aquarium.




November 9th, 2016.
New leaves sprouted at two spots on the main stem. Remarkably, in the previous blogpost leaves sprouted from the tip of the stem.


Here you can see one pair of leaves.

And here is the other pair of leaves.
It means that there are going to be two stems!


The roots grow as quickly as in the previous video.


November 18th, 2016.
I cut off the two old leaves during the last week to encourage the growth of new leaves.
And new leaves sprouted.




December 2nd, 2016.
 I moved the plant to a smaller aquarium. Leaves are changing to a darker color.
 I want to grow more leaves on each stem. Then I may trim endings of stems to force growth of new stems. Repeat it and again. It would take time to grow a bush of any shape!


Have fun and happy aquaponics :)

No comments:

Post a Comment