Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Growing Land Moss Underwater


July 13th, 2017
 I got samples of land mosses on my trip to Central Park NYC. 




Let's check if this moss can grow underwater

Wash samples thoroughly under running water. 
Try to remove all the dirt along with living "things" from the samples. 

This sample looks like some type of Hair Cap moss (please correct me if I am wrong!). 

It has a very stylish appearance.

 I tied this moss with cotton sewing thread to a rock in this example. 



Put all land moss samples in a small nursery aquarium, a disposable cup in this example, filled with water. 

I keep these samples on a windowsill, exposed to direct sunlight.


 August 1st, 2017 
I took more samples of this moss from a different location in Central Park NYC. 



Wash it thoroughly under running water.


 These samples go to another nursery. 
This moss looks like a tiny green tree. 

August 2nd, 2017 
Here you can see both samples taken 2 weeks apart. 



October 22nd, 2017
 I am setting up a nursery aquarium.
 Add dechlorinated water and gravel. 

This moss stays alive almost 2 months underwater.
 And seed shrimps like it! 



I am going to transfer this moss to the new nursery.
 In this example, I use driftwood made of wooden toothpicks to anchor the moss. 

Here is the moss to anchor. 

A pair of toothpicks for the anchor.

 I use an old air tube to hold toothpicks together.
 A couple toothpicks fit nicely inside of the air tube!

 Cut a 5 mm piece of the air tube to hold one end of the toothpicks. 

Place moss on one toothpick. 

3-5 pieces of this moss fit on a toothpick.
 Press the moss with the second toothpick.

  Lock both ends of toothpicks with pieces of air tube. 



Looks nice! 


Place the anchored moss in the nursery.
 Also, I added another type of land moss along with seed shrimps and snails to this nursery. 


January 4th, 2018 
This moss stays alive for over 6 months underwater!

It did not grow underwater, and yet it's alive! 

You know what dead moss looks like from my previous nano aquarium experiment ;) 
Check links in the description to the video for more details.
 Have fun and happy aquariums :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment