Tuesday, December 10, 2019

3 Liter Mason Jar Aquarium Garden DIY


In this example, I use a 3 liter Mason jar with a cover to make an aquarium garden.


This jar is about 14 cm wide.



Add gravel, rocks and such.



I add a tilted background



Fill the jar with dechlorinated water
Let it sit overnight or longer. 

Add aquatic plants
Here I add Subwassertang seaweed and Najas Guppy grass - gifts from my friend RP101. 



I use a seashell to anchor the plant

Add whatever plants you have. 
The more varieties the better. 

Here I add growing underwater Peace lily

Let the aquarium sit for two weeks or longer before adding any fish. 

It's also a good time to add snails and other tiny critters. 

Use the cover of the jar to make the planter





In another example, I use plexiglass to make a planter





This type of planter allows only the roots of land plants to grow in water while reducing water evaporation. 



Check my previously published videos for more details on how to make this and other types of planters





My aquarium gardens get only natural light coming from the window. 

Keep aquariums with fish away from direct sunlight.



Aquarium gardens are low maintenance. 

The most important part of their care is to keep the tubes above water to allow air circulation.
 Add dechlorinated water to the level as needed once every couple months or so. 

Aquarium gardens are beautiful and simple to keep. 

There are many houseplants, herbs, and even exotic plants that can grow with their roots in water. 
Check links in the description for the list of plants that I have been growing in my aquarium gardens
I add new plants every year ;) 

I make aquarium gardens of different sizes and shapes
Some are very small, cup size, with snails and critters. 
They look beautiful together and each on its own. 

Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment