Monday, November 21, 2016

Algae control in aquarium


Algae - a simple nonflowering plant of a large group that includes seaweed and many single-celled forms. 
Algae contains chlorophyll but lack true stems, roots, leaves, and vascular tissue. 


This is my first and smallest aquarium; it is now about 5 months old.
 You may check how I set it up and took care of it in previously published videos.
 Noticeably, I have never cleaned the walls of the aquarium.











Let's look for algae. 
Algae needs water, light, and nutrition to grow.
 It is an inevitable part of any aquarium.
 Fish food and fish poop are good sources of nutrients for algae. 
Algae grows in water, and left alone, it will grow on walls and turn water into a green mess in a matter of days. 
Here, on the side of the aquarium closest to the window, (source of light) algae grow first. Look for small deposits of green on shells and the wall.


 Snails foraging algae. 



Changing all water and scrubbing algae from the walls will only have a temporary effect. Algae control is continuous work.
 I have done it by regulating the amount of nutrition and light. 
The back side of my aquarium is permanently shielded from direct sunlight. Like this.

Then I shield the left and right sides from the light as necessary. 



During the summer, I kept only the front side open for light.

Reduce the amount of fish food and frequency of feeding. Fish should take no more than 2-3 minutes to eat all the given food.
Drain dirty water weekly from the bottom of the aquarium. 
Add clean water to keep it level.

Plants compete with algae for nutrition. Adding more plants helps control algae growth. 

That's how I control algae growth in my aquariums. 
Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment