Friday, December 30, 2016

Aloe aquarium garden


October 15th 2016
This aloe plant does not have any roots - the cut is dry.


There are three leaves.

 Let's place it in a cup of water.
I use water from an aquarium.



 October 22nd, 2016
A new root, about 1 cm long, grows in the first week.

November 3rd, 2016
The first root gets much longer and another root start growing.





 November 4th, 2016
 I decided to plant my aloe in an aquarium as I did it one year ago.
This time I will make it different.
First I made a planter out of a plastic bottle.

Put a layer of padding polyester to cover all holes in the planter.



The layer of sand is going on top of it.
 Dig a pit for the plant.



Place the aloe in the pit.
 Cover roots with sand.
Add sand if necessary.



Place the planter on a base.

 I use water from an aquarium to water the plant.
 Soak the planter a couple times to flush small particles that can go through the polyester.







 Add sand if necessary.
Soak the planter again.

 Place the planter on top of an aquarium.



November 10th, 2016
 I water the plant once a week.

One of the roots grows through the hole in the planter.



November 17th, 2016
The root grows longer.



There are a couple more roots heading down to the holes.



 It is very annoying to move the planter up every time I need to feed fish.



 November 20th, 2016
I made a new planter with one funnel for fish feeding.
I replanted the aloe in the new planter.







Set up the new planter as described previously.



 Remove the plant gently out of the old planter.



I have to trim off the long root.

 Place the plant in a pit.
Add as much sand as necessary.
 Soak the plant.

 Place the planter on the top of the aquarium.





Now I can feed fish without ever lifting the planter!



 December 2nd, 2016
I spotted a new leaf.



 December 19th, 2016
 The new leaf grows larger.

A new root grows through the hole of the planter.
I have already come up with better planters.
Though, I would rather let my aloe grow in this planter through the winter before replanting it.



Life is beautiful!

 Have fun and happy aquarium garden :)

No comments:

Post a Comment