Monday, October 9, 2017

How to Make Fish Food Flakes


Making fish food flakes at home is an easy but time consuming process.


You can buy fish food flakes on Amazon:

I do it for my guppies.

Here you can see cups with frozen algae harvested from algae scrubber HOG.5.

Put the algae in a blender.
This algae comes with some little critters and snails.

Add a slice of raw fish - use a different type of fish from the one you keep.

 Blend it.

 I add greens that people eat and greens that grow in aquariums.
Here I add peels of carrot.

Add soft parts of lettuce or whatever other green you may have.

 A leaf of pothos that grows very fast goes into the blender.
 I make small batches of fish food adding different ingredients to please my fish.

Filamentous algae, algae and other plants growing in my aquarium always included.
 Also, guppies like to eat worms, snails, shrimps, and fish.






 Add some water from an aquarium to blend it all together.


Blend it all thoroughly.


 I add a full teaspoon of Red Mill Potato starch to this amount of mixture.

Blend it all thoroughly.

 In this example I made about 350-400 ml of mixture.


 Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.


 Pour the mixture on the baking sheet and spread it evenly.



 I dry the mixture for 3-5 hours in the oven set on 170 F.




Check on the mixture every hour or more often to see if it is dry.

You should be able to crunch the dry mixture into a powder between your fingers.


Pull the dry mixture out of the oven.
 I crunch it with my fingers to make flakes or powder.


Congratulations! We have made fish food flakes!

Store fish food flakes in a jar in a cold dark dry place.
 I prefer to store it in a dispenser with a grinder.

In this example I made about 50 ml of fish food flakes.

 Let fish taste it.


My guppy seems to like it. 

I give an amount of food flakes enough for fish to eat in 2 minutes.

Making small batches of fish food allows to feed fish with different food every day of the week ;)

Fish eats healthy.
 Fish poop.
Algae and plants grow in aquarium.
Then I feed it all back to the fish.
Natural cycle!


 There are other ways to feed fish with what grows in aquarium - check my videos for more details.
 Have fun and happy fish :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment