Monday, October 2, 2017

Wandering Jew Aquarium Garden


May 23rd, 2017
 I got a cutting of a Wandering Jew plant (Tradescantia Zebrina) with 10 leaves on one stem.


You can buy Wandering Jew plant on Amazon: 


 Here is the backside of the leaves.

 This is the front side of the leaves.
 I like the colors!

 Put the cutting in a cup of water.

 May 24th, 2017
 It took less then 24 hours for new roots to start growing! 



May 27th, 2017
 A new leaf sprouted on top. 

The roots grow longer. 
The color of the leaves that were submerged underwater has changed. 

June 5th, 2017 
Another leaf sprouted on top. 



The roots look great and fluffy. 

I am setting up a new nursery aquarium in a vase.
 It looks nice with this plant growing on top. 

June 6th,2017 

A new branch sprouted. 
Here you can see it.

 The submerged underwater leaves get sick. 
I use scissors to cut off 4 sick leaves to prevent further rot.

 All remaining leaves stay above the water. 

 July 8th, 2017 

New leaves sprouted in the past month. 
There is a total of 11 leaves. 

I added newborn guppies to this nursery aquarium.
 The roots get longer.


 I am cutting off the top of the plant with 7 leaves on it. 


The new cutting is going in a cup of water to grow roots.
 The old plant stays in the old nursery.

 July 12th, 2017 

Roots grow on the new cutting with the same speed as on the old plant.  

Here you can see two growing branches on the old plant. 

July 19th, 2017

 Leaves sprouted on both new branches. 

The roots grow much longer.

 August 11th, 2017

 The roots of the old plant outgrew this nursery aquarium.

 I cut off about half the length of the roots. 



September 1st, 2017 

The cutting of the Wandering Jew plant grow into two pretty plants over the course of one Summer. 

The smaller plant is ready to go to one of my friends.

 I want to see how the large plant will grow all year round on top of an aquarium with roots planted in water.
 Have fun and happy plants :)    

5 comments:

  1. Hello, did you discovered what happened after 1 year? I would be very interested to know..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It grows all year around in this settings. I trim the plants as necessary and it grows good and looks pretty. Though, I did not make an update on this plant - there was not any new interesting info to share about it.
      Eventually, I give the plant away to some of my friends.
      All the best!

      Delete
  2. hey, thank you so much for your answer. I am making an art project based on this plant, and have some equations, I hope it is ok for you to answer:
    you add some blue stuff in the water? what is it? do you add anything else in the water?
    are the nursery aquarium and the fishes necessary for the roots to grow?
    what does it means trimming? did you trim the plant so it will stay small enough to suit the vase?
    thank you for your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got the meaning of trimming correct. I cut it to keep smaller, to give it desirable shape and use cuttings to grow new plants ;)
      I add blue tilted background behind the aquarium to achieve a desirable color/light effect. Check this video for details: https://youtu.be/OcL-9Z8-1Uk
      Fish or any other aquatic pets (snails, shrimps end etc.) aren't necessary, but helpful in number of ways. They provide waste (poop) which is nutrition for plants.
      In this regards you may want to check on my aquarium fish care routine: https://youtu.be/eKDWgUO4VsM simple and yet very effective )
      All the best on your new adventure!

      Delete
  3. А причем тут евреи?

    :)

    ReplyDelete