Monday, May 28, 2018

DIY Dual LED Lights


I have kept my first disposable LED USB light turned on 24/7 since January 1st, 2018.


 It works!
 Check links in the description to the video for more details.
Previously, I used LED from disposable items.


In this example, I use 1 Watt LED.



 Choose a USB cable of desirable length.

An old USB cable will do.

Cut off one end of the cable.
I keep the USB 2 connector type A.

 Strip off insulation on the open end of the cable.

This cable has multiple layers of protection.
Unwrap and cut it off.

 The power wires are usually marked by red and black.


Remove 2-3 cm of insulation from these two wires.
 Check links in the description on LED polarity and how to find corresponding ends of the wires.



 I twist the ends of each wire to make them thicker.

Connect wires of the cable with corresponding wires of the LED.

Plug it into a USB charger.

The LED light works! 

Make another LED light as described previously.

 Each LED is powered separately.


Let's power both LEDs through one USB.

Cut off the USB connector of the second cable.

Strip off insulation and cut off wires leaving only the power (red and black) wires.


Disconnect the first cable from the LED.



Twist the corresponding wires of both cables.
Red with red.
Black with black.

Connect the twisted wires with corresponding wires of the 1st LED.


Plug USB in the power source.
We have made USB powered dual LED lights.
In this example, LEDs are connected in a parallel circuit.

Secure wire connections with a tape.

I power these LEDs with a smartphone USB charger.



Use a wire hanger to make a stand/ holder for the LED.

 In this example, I cut off the hook.

 Straighten the wire.

Use a round nose pliers to make loops at the ends of the wire.


Bend the wire to a desirable shape.
Check links "LED Light Holder" and "Night Aquariumfor more examples ;)

This particular LED comes in a housing outfitted with springs.
Unscrew and remove the springs.

 Screw the stand/ holder to the housing.
 The housing of 1 watt LED gets hot!


 In this example, I hang the LEDs under IKEA double bunk bed to illuminate my kid playground.
I use LED lights for aquariums, stop motion projects, etc.






 I pull all cables between wooden planks and the mattress.
I can slide the LED along the wooden plank it hangs on.


The light can be turned on/off with a switch of a surge protector.


Have fun and happy light :)    

1 comment: