Monday, May 21, 2018

The Smallest Aquarium


I use this cup-sized jar to build my smallest aquarium.



 Add some gravel to cover the bottom.

Here is a nursery with algae, seed shrimps and... a tiny Peace lily growing underwater.


Let's move the small plant to the new small aquarium.


I populate all my aquariums with seed shrimps.
Use a syringe/ pipette to transfer them.

Add dechlorinated water.
180 milliliters of water fits in this aquarium.
It is one of my smallest aquariums :)

Also, I add snails.

 Cover the aquarium to prevent water evaporation.


November 6th, 2017
 I place this aquarium on a windowsill to grow algae and seed shrimps.



November 12th, 2017
 All looks good and ready for fish.


 November 14th, 2017
Some discoloration appears on one leaf of the Peace lily.


December 30th, 2017
All leaves of the Peace lily have wilted in the past 2 weeks.
The heat of over 90 F in direct sunlight was more than the plant can handle.

Seed shrimps and snails survived that heat!
 I moved the nursery away from direct sunlight.

 The diameter of this aquarium is about 6 cm.

 I add underwater growing land moss to the nursery.


I wonder if the Peace lily will re-grow.

A guppy born on 12/04/2017 goes into this nursery.


It's the 1st baby of the 2nd generation.

January 21st, 2018
 I follow the same natural aquarium fish care routine as described in a previous video.
 The temperature is 72-76 F.
I don't change water, and I don't use man-made filters.

 February 25th, 2018

The water level has dropped about 5 mm since the initial setup.

 I use a pipette to add water with seed shrimps.


Seed shrimps get busy right away.

 April 22nd, 2018
The guppy is about 2 cm long.
It could grow larger than that.

I move this fish to a larger aquarium that I have prepared in advance.



The size of the new nursery makes it a temporary home for this fish.
Even the new nursery has more than twice the water capacity!

The narrowest side of an aquarium has to be 3 or more times the fish size.


Two newborn babies of 2nd generation go to the old smallest nursery.




My smallest nano aquarium serves as a temporary house for fry to grow, taking very little space on my desk ;)

Here you can see the fish, snails, and snail eggs.
Seed shrimps hide in moss and gravel.

Life is beautiful!
 Have fun and happy aquarium :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment