Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Aloe Aquarium Garden 2 Year Update


May 27th, 2017
 This Aloe plant has been growing on top of my aquariums since the end of 2016.


Please check my previous videos for more details.


July 9th, 2017
 A new leaf started growing in the past weeks.


 And new roots grow nicely!
 I do not water this plant.



November 15th, 2017
 Leaves of the plant spread out over 50 cm wide, and about 30 cm above ground.



The plant has very strong roots, about 30 cm long.

The plant takes up a lot of space.

 I am going to cut off some leaves to make room on my desk.
Use a sharp blade to cut leaves close to the base.




Use fresh leaves as you like and store unused parts for later.

In this example, I use a knife to trim the sides of the leaf.



 Then I peel off the flat side of the leaf.



Put the leaf on a piece of plastic.
Use a spoon to scoop the soft gel like part of the leaf.




 Cut the gel into small portions.


Put it in a freezer for about 1 hour.

In the meantime, I move the Aloe plant closer to the window.


Let's get the frozen aloe out.

 Bend the plastic slightly to make the frozen aloe pop out.


Put the frozen aloe in a plastic zip bag or some box.
Write "Aloe" on the bag to avoid any confusion ;)
Store it in the freezer until the time when you need it.

 November 25th, 2017
 I noticed a new root.


December 28th, 2017
 I cut off 3 leaves.




 February 23rd, 2018
A new leaf started growing.



 I cut off 2 old leaves.




I don't water this Aloe plant since I transferred it into this planter.
Here you can see my land moss Christmas tree in the aquarium 2 months after Christmas :)

The roots of Aloe plant look good.

 March 9th, 2018
The plant made it through the winter.

I cut off one leaf.

Now the plant has 2 leaves.

 The old leaf is about 14 cm long.

And the new leaf is about 2 cm long.

July 29th, 2018
A new leaf start growing.


The roots of the Aloe submerged underwater rot in May-June as they did in the previous year.
Now the plant is healthy again.

Through the past year I only cut off leaves and...that's it.
No watering the plant, only add water in the aquarium ;)
 Have fun and happy plants :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment