Thursday, December 13, 2018

How to Make Fish Food


I make different fish food for my aquatic pets.


Buy fish food flakes on Amazon (paid link):

It is a part of my aquarium fish care which I am constantly improving and simplifying.

I prefer to use what grows in my aquariums to make fish food.

It includes all the plants, mosses, algae, snails, shrimps and etc.

 In this example, I harvest spare Frogbits.


Now let's take some of the Elodea.

I cut old parts, leaving the new to grow.

 Fast growing Frogbit, Elodea, algae and pond snails are good, reliable suppliers ;)
Share spare plants with your friends or save them for making fish food flakes.

 Here, I trim some land moss growing underwater.
Check links for details ;)

 Snails are always in excess in my aquariums.

Add some of them to the food batch.


 Store all ingredients in a freezer until you get enough of them.

Get a shoe or pizza box.

 Line the bottom of the box with aluminium foil.




 Get the collected ingredients from the freezer.


Put defrosted ingredients into a blender.
You may add any green leaves and vegetable peels from your kitchen.

Here I add frozen peels of watermelon and potatoes :)



Add dechlorinated water as necessary.

Blend it all thoroughly.


I prefer to make small batches of different flavors for my fish to try.

 Pour the mixture on the foil in the box.

Spread it evenly.

Rest the box on a windowsill.

Cover the box to prevent direct sunlight, leaving holes for air circulation.

 Check on the mixture every day.

You should be able to crunch the dry mixture into a powder between your fingers.

In this example, it took 3 days for the mixture to dry in a room with temperature of about 72-76 F.

It could be done in one hot day on the beach while you’re sunbathing ;)
 Or you can do it in an oven as shown in my previous video (link in the description).

The end result is the same...your pets’ favorite fish food flakes :)




Congratulations!
We made fish food flakes!

 Keep them dry in a box and away from light.

I feed my guppies once a day.

 Give them a pinch of flakes.

 It should take 2-3 minutes to eat.

 Feed less or skip the next feeding if it takes longer to eat.
 Try different ingredients to see what your fish like better.

I used to add starch in fish food flakes.
It works fine either way.

Have fun and happy aquariums :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment