Thursday, December 6, 2018

How to Grow Tree Land Moss Underwater


A variety of land mosses, found in different parts of our planet, can grow underwater. 


A variety of land mosses, found in different parts of our planet, can grow underwater. 

On my trip to Vermont, I pick some samples of land moss to see if they would grow underwater in my aquariums

Washing land moss thoroughly before placing it in an aquarium is crucial for growing it underwater! 

This Climacium Dendroides land moss is also known as Tree moss. 

It looks like a tiny tree :) 


This one is about 8 cm tall. 

July 10th, 2018 
I put some gravel in a 1 liter jar. 

Place the Tree moss into the jar.
I think a larger jar would be better for this size and amount of moss. 
But it is the jar I have on hand, so it will do for now. 


I left the tips of the tree moss crowns exposed to air for now. 
Put the nursery on a windowsill into direct sunlight. 


The moss looks gorgeous in water! 

July 14th, 2018 
I plant some of the Tree moss into a new 2 liter plastic bottle nursery. 

In this example, I use driftwood made of chopsticks to anchor the moss. 

The new sprouts are a rich green! 

I use fishing line to secure moss between two pieces of driftwood. 

And it goes into the new nursery. 
It looks pretty nice to begin with :) 

August 15th, 2018 

I add pond snails to the first nursery. 

Add dechlorinated water to fully submerge the moss.



Also, I add seed shrimps with fresh green algae. 

Cover the nursery to reduce evaporation. 

September 1st, 2018 
Tree moss grows slowly underwater. 


Seed shrimps seem to like it ;) 

September 2nd, 2018 
I move some of the Tree moss from the first jar into a new nursery. 



October 10th, 2018 
The tree moss grows steadily. 
New sprouts looks nice. 

Notice the amount of algae in the water. 

Apparently, the slow growing underwater tree moss alone is unable to compete with algae as more rapidly growing plants and mosses do. 

October 21st, 2018 
This Tree moss has been growing over 3 months in this aquarium so far. 

New sprouts grow from the stem and long shots grow from the crown. 



Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment