Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Land Snails Aquarium Garden


June 17th, 2019
 I spotted garden snails near the train station on my way home. 



Land snails and slugs can be found in almost every garden. 

Well, I have my aquarium gardens built to check on different ideas. 
One of the ideas is to keep pets ;) 

Here is one of my aquarium gardens. 

 I keep dwarf guppies, pond snails, and etc in the bottom part. 

The land snails go on the top part where I keep different terrestrial plants and mosses. 

I keep my garden covered to maintain high humidity level.
 Snails like and need humidity! 

Also, I add a small branch of a mulberry tree with leaves and berries for my snails to eat. 



I spray my aquarium garden with dechlorinated water every other day. 


The snails waste no time and start exploring the new home right away. 



Let's cover the aquarium garden to reduce evaporation and to keep my new pets in ;) 




Land snails are vegetarians. 
They eat fresh soft vegetables, leaves and algae. 


I like to give my pets a choice of food to try. 
So, here I give them a slice of watermelon. 


Also, I put the mulberry leaves and berries at the other corner.

 This way it should be easier to see what snails pick ;) 

The following time-lapse recording should reveal what my snails like to eat if anything. 

Here I turned the tank for a better view.

One snail feeds on watermelon.



 It looks like the watermelon is the food to go for this snail. 

Snails poop as they should... 

Yeah, I wish their poop was on the base where plants could take advantage of it. 
But the poop happens to be on the walls in full view.


 Cleaning after your pets is routine chore that needs to be done. 


And the old food needs to be replaced by fresh. 
The basic care for snails is the same as for slugs


 After making this video I decide to return my snails back to the Nature.
I don't want Snails to get in the way of my experiments with aquarium gardens. 

Well, call it vivarium, terrarium, paludarium or whatever...to me it is Aquarium Garden.
 I grow land plants in water and there are different pets in my garden :) 


This and bunch of others tiny fellows help to keep my garden clean ;)

And all land mosses and fern shown in this garden grow underwater as well. 
Video updates on all of them coming ;) 

Let's get back to snails.
 June 18th, 2019 
I take my snails back to the place where I got them.
 This wall seems to be popular place for snails to hang around. 

I think the algae that grows on this dump wall attracts snails.
 I see snails here every Summer. 

And here my snails go.




It does not take long for my snails to get lost in the big green city :) 


Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment