Tuesday, August 13, 2019

How to Grow Lifesaver Plant in Water


I got a cutting of a Huernia Zebrina Succulent also known as the Lifesaver plant on May 31st 2019.


It has two about 4 cm long stems and a root.


The stem is shaped like a 4 pointed star and it resembles a cactus.
But it's not a cactus.

Let's see if it grows in water.
Fill up a small (30 ml) cup with gravel.

Put the plant in the middle of the cup.
Secure it with gravel.

Fill the cup with dechlorinated water.

 Leave the plant on a windowsill exposed to direct sunlight.

 A new root started growing in the past two weeks.

The water evaporates rather quickly in this set up allowing roots to dry.
I water the plant every other day.





One month later, on July 3rd, I moved the plant to a newly built aquarium garden shown in a previous video.

Strong white roots have been growing from both stems.


Let's pull the roots gently through the hole of the planter.

The plant stays above the aquarium with only its roots in the water.
 From now on, I do not have to water the plant ever again ;)

 I separate the stems on July 3rd, 2019

 Each stem has more than 5 cm long roots.

So, I have two plants from one cutting in about 5 weeks time.


I notice a new stem growing one week later on July 9th :)

 Here, let me turn it around a bit for a better viewing.

The four pointed star shape is exactly as on the mother stem.

The roots are very strong.

July 23rd, 2019 It's been almost 2 months since I started growing the lifesaver plant from one cutting with two stems.

And now I have two slightly larger size plants.

And one of them has two stems.
This one.

 You can see it has strong roots.


The other one I am going to give away to make a room for some other plants I want to grow in this aquarium garden.
Click here for a playlist of videos about my succulents.

And so it goes.
Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment