Thursday, October 10, 2019

Hornwort in Aquarium


I get a couple cuttings of Hornwort plant, also known as Coontail, scientific name Ceratophyllum demersum.


The nice green bushy cutting is about 10 cm long.
And the smaller cutting is 5 cm.

Anchor both plants with one seashell.
I put it in a new aquarium on March 22nd, 2019.


 April 23rd, 2019
In the past month, I added fast growing Elodea, hairgrass, Marimo moss ball, and dwarf lily.

Hornwort seems to double in size.

A cutting of Hornwort comes in a package with cherry shrimp on May 9th, as a bonus.

I put it in a new nursery as well.
I always put everything new in a separate nursery for a week or more to check on it.

Here is the same cutting in less than 3 weeks by May 28th.

It is double the original length.

Let's anchor it with a seashell.


 And here is my very first Hornwort plant as of June 5th, 2019
It's been about 10 weeks since I got it.



 The plant grows to the top of the aquarium.
Hornwort is a fast growing plant.

 But Elodea grows about 2-3 times faster than Hornwort.
 Here you can see both plants.



 I trim off the old bottom part of the plant as necessary.

Keep the growing top part.
Hornwort is a floating plant.
Though, I like to anchor it with a seashell.

Hornwort in my aquariums with fish get only indirect sunlight.

July 17th, 2019
Hornwort grows in long branching strings, doubling its size every 3-4 weeks through long Summer days.





It looks nice.

Let's pull it out.
Well, this time I let the plant grow for about 6-7 weeks and it grew about 4 times longer.

Once again I trim the plant.


The growing top part goes back into the same aquarium.
Right here.

And look how many new branches grow from the old stem.

I am just going to cut off those branches and grow them in my other aquariums or use them to make fish food flakes ;)


And here is the same aquarium one month later on August 17th.


 And here is another aquarium with Hornwort and...two Pothos plants growing underwater.

That is about two year old project that I shared with you in other videos.


Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment