Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Where to find pond snails for your aquarium


Conservatory Water pond of Central park in NYC is my favorite place to pick up pond snails.


 Pond snails crawl on the walls of this manmade pond during the warm season. 

This pond is home to ducks, fish, and many aquatic critters that I've been showing in my videos.

Now, if you look down on the wall you may notice pond snails - here is one.


 Let's take a closer look at it.

 It is an adult snail.
 Pond snails can grow a bit larger than that in the pond. 
In aquariums, they grow no bigger than that. 

Let's fill up an empty plastic bottle with water from the pond. 

Put the snail in the bottle. 
One pond snail is all it takes to start a population of pond snails in an aquarium. 

I am going to pick a couple more snails. 


It's always better to start with younger, smaller snails if you have them to choose from.

 Put the snails in the bottle and close it.

 Pond snails breathe atmospheric air. 
That is why they come to the water’s surface so often.
 And for that reason, I poke a hole in the bottle cap to let air in. 


Now I am ready to take the snails to their new home in my aquariums. 



This is an adult trapdoor snail.
 I have seen (and shown in my videos) even larger trapdoor snails than this one. 


They need larger aquariums than I have.
 So, back in the pond it goes.

 Biking around Central Park, I come to The Pool pond on West 102nd. 
Finding pond snails in this pond is a bit trickier as it is in all natural ponds and rivers.

 Look for pond snails on plants in water! 

Let's take a look at this one... 

Aha! Found one from the first attempt. 

Now, look again at the plant and you may find snail eggs. 
Yes! Here I see two jelly pouches.

 There could be eggs of some insects or critters on the plant as well.
 I think that starting your ponds snails populations from snail eggs is the safest and best way.

 Let's cut the part of the leaf with the eggs - that is the only part I want to take home.
 Put it in the bottle with other snails. 


Now, let's look again at the same plant. 
Yep, there are some more eggs on the stem of the plant. 

Cut the part of the stem with eggs on it. 

This part goes into the bottle. 
And the rest of the plant goes back in the pond. 

I got more than enough to start a population of snails :) 

Also at this pond, we can pick up fresh duckweed to grow in aquariums, to make fish food, or both ;)


I scoop a bit and put it all in the same bottle. 

Also, you can put duckweed in a ziplock bag to carry it home just fine.

 Another way to find pond snails is to look for any subtle movements in the water.


Here I spot one snail. 
One has to be patient and know what to look for to find snails in this way. 
Picking snails off of walls or with plants are easier ways.


 Okay, I am letting this snail go...but look what I found here! 

It is a baby snapping turtle

Ah...baby baby, it's been a long time since I've seen baby turtles in Central park.

 Let's see if you can identify the gender of this baby :)


 It is a really nice surprise for me to find this baby turtle here in September. 


Back to the pond the baby turtle goes. 
Nice and easy. 



It's amazing how much life can be found in one spot in the middle of big New York city. 
Beautiful life in a beautiful city. 

So, that is how you can find pond snails in almost every freshwater pond, lake, and river.
 Quarantine the wild caught samples in separate nurseries before moving them into main aquariums. 
Have fun and happy aquariums :)


No comments:

Post a Comment