Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Aquarium Nursery


I use small aquarium nurseries to check and verify different ideas. 


This plastic box will do for checking on small plants and even fish up to about 3 cm. 



I trim off the rim of the cover to make it easier to take the cover on and off the box. 


Use another box, flipped upside-down, as a cover for the first box. 

Add some gravel.


 I put 2 flat rocks on top of each other to make a cave. 
New rocks may have an effect on pets.





 A tilted background helps see things better in aquariums. 


 Tree land moss I've been testing for underwater growth. 
Marimo ball I want to learn more about. 
A dwarf lily I've been growing smaller. 

Add dechlorinated water

Also, I add Elodea, Frogbit, and Duckweed to check on them under different light conditions. 
I use this small nursery to check on many things :) 

Let it sit for a couple weeks. 


November 9th, 2018 
I moved some young guppies temporarily into this nursery. 
Their old aquarium got too small for all of them. 


The fish waste will boost plant growth.


December 14th, 2018 

The small size of this nursery allows for easy mobility. 

I move my nurseries around all the time to give them all a desirable amount of natural indirect sunlight on each side



Also, easy mobility allows for a better viewing experience ;) 

December 22nd, 2018


 I made a hole in the cover to use the top of the nursery for aquarium garden.


I use a garden on top of the aquarium for different purposes. 

In this example, it is to double check on how land moss grown underwater will grow above water.
 This is some Bryum moss. 









The upside-down cover helps to reduce water evaporation, creating a very unique condition necessary for my project. 

The cave looks great. 

March 27th, 2019
 In this experiment, the Bryum moss outperforms the Tree moss. 




Here is another example where I use the same size nursery to grow an underwater Peace lily plant for couple years now and as a temporary house for young guppies.


In regards of usability, disposable aquarium nurseries like this one are one of the greatest tools for you - curious aquarium lovers. 
Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment