Tuesday, July 23, 2019

How to Grow Succulents in Water Ruby Heart


I got a young Ruby Heart (Sempervivum) succulent plant on May 22nd, 2019



This plant does not have roots yet.
There is only an offspring stem on which the plant grew from the mother plant.

 Let's put this young succulent plant in my aquarium garden to see if it grows in water, aquaponics style :)


The plant stays above the water.

 Only the stem of the mother plant is in the water.

Here you can see a tiny white root start growing from the stem.

The plant shot new sprouts right away!



Here you can see the two new sprouts two days later on May 24th.


June 7th, 2019
My Ruby Heart plant looks like a blooming flower :)


 There is a long root growing right under the leaves.
I am going to let it dry out.
 Leaves and sprouts grow noticeably longer in the past weeks.

July 2nd, 2019
 My Ruby Heart succulent has been growing 6 weeks with roots in water.



Let me show you the plant from the bottom.
Here you can see it.

I think the plant deserves a center spot in my garden.

Right here. 


Actually, I want to cut off the longest offspring.

The one on the right side of the screen.

This one.

The offspring has long stem with a miniature plant at the end.


The stem is long enough to reach the water while keeping the plant on the base of the garden.

So, here it is going to stay and grow.



The best part of growing Ruby Heart with roots in aquarium water is that it grows without any efforts on my part, literally maintenance free.

Which is actually true about all land plants that I grow underwater or with roots only in water.


I use only indirect sunlight for aquariums with fish.

 Plants in aquariums without fish can stay on a windowsill.

It is fun to see succulents, which normally grow in a dry climate, grow in water.


I moved the mother plant with offspring in a larger aquarium garden, right here.


I will tell you more about the Ruby Heart and other plants in future videos.

Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment