Tuesday, August 3, 2021

How to Grow Lesser Periwinkle in Water


March 20th, 2020
 I spotted a blooming Lesser Periwinkle flower (scientific name Vinca minor).


I wonder if this plant can grow with its roots in water.

 Let's get some cuttings for my aquarium gardens. 
I got 5 cuttings, each about 10 cm long. 
Each cutting has a couple pairs of leaves on the top and a couple nodes on the bottom. 
All cuttings are fresh green sprouts from this year  without roots.

 Initially, I put them all in a 3 liter aquarium garden with guppies. 



Here you can see a time-lapse recording of a Lesser Periwinkle blooming flower. 



The pretty blue flower looks very nice on top of the aquarium garden.


 April 5th. 
I took half a dozen cuttings of Lesser Periwinkle vines.

 I made cuttings with more leaves this time to check what would happen if I cut off the top part of the vine. 

So, let's cut off the tops of the cuttings and let's remove the bottom leaves as well. 
This cutting I will make with only a pair of leaves... 

These 4 cuttings without top growing buds go into a 1 liter sustainable aquarium garden with snails.

Keep all leaves above the water level. 



April 15th, 2020 
Here you can see the first cuttings I made about 4 weeks ago. 

A tiny white root grows on one of the cuttings! 
All leaves look good. 

I am going to put this rooted cutting into 1 liter aquarium garden.


 And here you can see the other 4 cuttings without top growing buds I made 10 days ago.

 The cutting with a pair of leaves already has a root.
 I am going to remove the other cuttings from this aquarium garden. 

April 24th.
 It's been a month since I made the first cuttings.
 Roots grow slowly.

One of the leaves wilted. 


And here you can see about two week old cuttings without growing tops. 

They have much longer roots! 

May 8th. 
New leaves start growing on first cuttings! 

The roots grow strong.

 June 12th, 2020 
About 3 month old cuttings without new leaves have strong roots that are about 15 cm long.
 Lesser Periwinkle roots look attractive in aquariums! 


June 20th. 
Here you can see the cutting with new leaves.


 July 5th.
 Leaves grow on some Lesser Periwinkle cuttings much later.



 I keep all my aquariums next to the window away from direct sunlight. 
That is only light they get.

Here you can see new leaves start growing on 10 month old cutting on December 17th, 2020.
 The plant has well developed roots. 

January 4th, 2021
 A new pair of leaves developed in the past 3 weeks. 

All new leaves have light color - almost white compared to dark green old leaves. 

The roots have grown all the way to the bottom of the 3 liter jar.


 April 4th, 2021
 It's been one year since I started growing Lesser Periwinkles in my aquariums. 

My Lesser Periwinkles did not bloom yet.
 This plant has 3 new pairs of leaves grown through the year. 



And this one, does not have any new leaves grown at all... 


Both plants have well developed roots. 

I made new cuttings with blooms to decorate my aquarium gardens. 


Let's put them in this aquarium. 


And...here you can see a time-lapse of the blooming. 


July 25th, 2021
 Here you can see about 16 month old cuttings growing in with roots in water.
 Lesser Periwinkle grows slowly in water. 

Leaves get darker with time.




 Lesser Periwinkle makes a nice addition to my aquarium gardens. 


Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment