Tuesday, September 12, 2023

How many times green onions can regrow



Green onions, also known as lettuce, regrow easily in water - that's all well known. 

Buy green onions on Amazon (paid link):


I am curious how many times it can regrow. 
Let's check it out. 


I don't want to grow onions in my aquarium gardens with other land plants growing with roots in water.
 You will see why :) 
All set and ready on May 16th. 

One week later on May 23rd. 
The cuttings of green onions have already grown to the same size I cut them off a week ago. 

Let's trim them off the second time. 

Notice how dirty the water gets just after one week with onion. 
Onions are not safe for growing in aquariums. 

Let's change the water completely and wash the onion and the jar.

 I use dechlorinated aged tap water for my aquariums and plants.


 One more week later on May 31st. 
More than half of the onion cuttings have regrown the same size again. 

Let's trim them again. 
Some cuttings did not grow this time. 

Wash the onion and change the water. 



June 10th.
 The onions don't look healthy to me now. 
Only about one third of the cuttings regrow this time.

 Let's trim the onions again - the fourth time.


I wash the onions and change the water. 

Nine days later on June 19th. 
There is nothing to trim. 

Let's just wash the onions and change the water. 
No trimming this time.



June 26th. 
The onions stopped growing after I trimmed them 4 times.


 Now you know how many times onions actually regrow.
 Have fun and happy plants :)

No comments:

Post a Comment