Monday, May 22, 2017

Braided Roots Aquarium Garden


April 30th, 2017
 Roots of this Peace lily plant have noticeably grown since I braided them last month.





Let's fix the roots using a different type of braiding.
 The old roots that are in braids are about 50 cm long.



I have to untwist them.

There are many small secondary roots that have grown from the primary roots.
 I trim them off with scissors.
It should encourage growth of primary roots.
 Don't cut the ends of roots you want to grow!



 I keep some secondary roots at the end of the primary roots.

Here I have 7 old primary roots prepared in this way.
 Separate roots from each other into individual lines.

 I use a chopstick to help interlace roots.
 Lift up every other root and place it on the chopstick.
 I work from right to left.
There are 4 roots on the bottom and 3 roots on the top.

Bring the root from the right to the left pulling it between all other roots.

Remove the chopstick.

Repeat again as many times as the length of roots allows.

Lift up every other root and place it on the chopstick.



Bring the root from the right to the left pulling it between all other roots.





Work each row in the same direction.
Keep the same space between rows.
 Pull the roots on the left side to readjust the space between rows.









I damaged one of the roots.
 So, now I am going to work with 6 roots.

 Work in the same order or change it to your liking.
Lift up every other root.











Bring the root from the right to the left pulling it between all other roots.

 Because roots are of different sizes, I have to work with fewer roots by the end.

 I made the braid about 30 cm long.



Let's see how it looks in an aquarium.

 I like it!
We can use the braids as a base to attach other plants!



Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment