Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Land Moss in Aquarium


Words of gratitude to my friend, Brenda Morris, for suggesting to plant regular moss in aquariums and for sharing pictures of her beautiful aquariums with me.
 Thank Brenda Morris!


April 15th, 2017

There are many different types of moss that grow everywhere you go year around.

This is one of the first samples I got from my local park.




 I think it is called Bryum moss.


Please, correct me if I am wrong, and I would appreciate if you can share a specific name for it.



Wash moss thoroughly under running water!

 It is very important!

Rub it gently as you wash it.

 It took me 10-15 minutes to get it clean.

 The moss has no roots!

 Nevertheless, it attaches itself to rocks, roots of other plants, etc.

In this example, I am going to tie the moss to braided roots of Peace lily.


Place the moss on top of the surface where you want to attach it.


The green part facing up.

I tie the moss with cotton sewing thread.

 Simply loop the sewing thread around the moss.



Add patches of moss as needed to cover empty spots.










 I place the moss in one of my nursery aquariums without fish in it yet.






April 18th, 2017

This moss seems to produce more oxygen than any other plants that I have in my aquariums.

Here you can see the moss covered with bubbles of oxygen as a decorated Christmas tree!




May 18th, 2017

 In the past month I planted more of this moss in different aquariums with fish.

Here is the first sample.


Some parts of it grow enormously in a short period of time.






My guppies like it.

 Seed shrimps and cyclops dance happily around the moss.
 So far this moss grows very well in my aquariums for two months.
 I want to see if it will grow under water all year around.
 And there is some more I want to share with you about this and other types of moss in future videos.
 Have fun and happy moss ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment