Monday, July 17, 2017

Growing Peace Lily Underwater


March 20th, 2017
 At least one of the Peace lily leaves has to stay above water level for the rest of the plant to grow underwater.


 Check my previous videos for details.
All new leaves of this plant have grown underwater during the last couple months.
 They have never been exposed to open air.

 It suggests an opportunity to explore.



 Use a sharp knife to cut off this bunch of new leaves with the roots.
 Previously, I braided some of the roots, and used them as a base to grow regular moss underwater.
 It grows wonderfully!
 Check out my videos for details.






 Put the old plant back into the nursery.
 Keep at least 1 leaf above the water.

The new plant goes in another nursery.
This time I keep the plant fully submerged underwater.



May 3rd, 2017
 I added 2 guppies to the nursery.
 Also, there are some small critters: snails, seed shrimps, and cyclopes.
This Peace lily stays alive underwater for 6 weeks!
One of the leaves has some discoloration spots in the last week.
Here you can see the leaf.
 I may cut it off if it gets worse.
 Let it stay for now.


May 22nd, 2017
In the past couple weeks, the discoloration disappeared from the leaf.
The plant looks healthy.



 May 30th, 2017
A new leaf sprouted.



The roots grow longer.

June 13th, 2017
The new leaf is fully open.
I moved guppies to another aquarium.



 July 2nd, 2017
2 weeks ago, I added 6 newborn guppies to this nursery.


A new leaf sprouted.
 The Peace lily growing underwater likes sunlight!

 I put the new and the old plants next to each other for comparison.
 The old Peace lily on the right side has darker green leaves.
 It wilts in direct sunlight.

July 8th, 2017
 The Peace lily seems to grow slower underwater than a plant exposed to open air.
Nevertheless, slowly but steadily, it grows.
 I am going to anchor it down using this drift wood.





There are different ways to attach a plant to drift wood.
In this example, I tie 3 roots of the plant around the drift wood.


It holds securely enough.

The underwater growing Peace lily looks good and healthy.
 I appreciate its slower growth rate and love for the direct sunlight.
I wonder if it will bring flowers :)
Have fun and happy plants :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment