Monday, November 20, 2017

Aquarium in a vase


July 7th, 2017
This is my 2nd line parenting couple for breeding a strain of dwarf guppies.


They had babies for the second time!

 Here you can see a newborn guppy.
 There are 3 newborn babies.

I am going to transfer them to a new nursery aquarium vase.

 Use a pipette to catch and transfer babies.
I prepared this nursery in a vase about a month in advance, as I typically do.
Check my previous videos for details.




First I put gravel in the vase.
Fill the vase with dechlorinated water.
 This vase holds about 1 liter of water.
Then add plants.
 In this example, I planted land moss on the bottom and Wandering Jew on the top.

 Then add seed shrimps and snails.
Check previous videos for details.

Here you can see tiny seed shrimps and snails on the roots of the plant.

August 30th, 2017
 Here you can see 7 week old babies.

Notice the difference in fish sizes.
 The largest one is a male.

 I don't use artificial filters or air pumps and do not change water in all my aquariums.
No heaters either.
The temperature in my apartment is 72-76 F all year around.


Normally, I keep my fish away from direct sunlight, except while I take videos ;)

 October 4th, 2017
I like this large male guppy, though it is too large for breeding a dwarf strain.


 October 17th, 2017
I moved the Wandering Jew plant to another aquarium.
This vase aquarium became a testing nursery for another plant.

 About this plant in another video ;)

 Algae has grown visibly on the walls of this 5 month old vase aquarium.


The land moss has grown gorgeously!

 You can notice seed shrimps crawling and hopping in the moss.
They help to keep my aquariums clean.


 I use a toothbrush to remove algae from the walls only for this video.
Otherwise, I would leave it for fish, snails and seed shrimps to eat.
 I want algae in my aquariums!
 Check my previous videos for details about aquarium fish care.

Use scissors to trim off moss to a desirable size and shape.
 Leave the cuttings in the aquarium or move them to another nursery.


Here I use chopsticks to pull cuttings out of the aquarium.

 I put the cuttings in a cup of water to let it grow for later use.

I feed my fish once every morning with either frozen algae or homemade fish food flakes.

In this example, I give them fish food flakes.

It should take them about 2 minutes to eat fish food flakes.
I feed pregnant fish twice a day.


 Also, fish eat through the day anything they can find in the aquarium: plants or little critters.

 Here you can see a guppy male eat land moss and seed shrimps.
 This 3 month old male is about 2.5 cm long.
 I may need to move him to a larger aquarium if he keeps growing.
 Use an equation to calculate the minimum size aquarium based on the size of the fish.

Light and the background color make a big difference in how we perceive colors of fish, plants and the aquarium as a whole.



Try different backgrounds!




 Try different sources of light and experiment with the angle of light!

 Aquarium Zen garden!



 Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment