Monday, July 30, 2018

Anchor Aquarium Plants with a Shell


Previously, I used this aquarium in experiments with fish.



Here you can see seed shrimps, snails, and some plants.


 I am going to transfer it all into a new nursery aquarium.
This Peace lily plant grows underwater without roots!

Guppies pulled out this small Hairgrass plant from the gravel.

Let's pour gravel along with dirt and everything else into the new tank.

Here I anchor the Hairgrass with gravel.

 Land moss grows and looks nice underwater without any anchor ;)

 Now I am going to step outside to make holes in seashells.

 Scratch a seashell on a flat concrete surface to make a hole of a desirable size.

Take your time - scratching heats up the shell and the edges of holes are sharp!






 Holes can be made at different spots of the shell.

We can make multiple holes in one shell.




In this example, I use this shell to anchor the Peace lily plant.


 This plant does not have roots.


 Insert the stem of the plant into the hole in the shell.


The shell holds the plant in place at the bottom.
I add seed shrimps to the nursery.
May 17th, 2018
I added newborn guppies to the nursery.


In the following example, I use seashell to anchor land moss.
 Land moss does not have roots.
 We can insert moss into the hole like this.


Or we can pull the moss through the hole making moss grow from inside of the shell.

And then drop the shell with the moss into an aquarium.
I am setting up a new nursery ;)

Here I choose an appropriately sized seashell to anchor land grass (more about growing land grass underwater in future videos ;)




I pull roots of the grass through the hole, making the grass grow from inside of the shell.




Drop the anchored plant into the aquarium.


 In this example, I use a small seashell to anchor small Hairgrass plants.



In this example, I use a seashell with 2 holes to anchor a Frogbit plant.

 Loop the end of the root through both holes of the shell.

Adjust the length of the root for the plant to stay on the surface of the water!

We can use the same seashell to anchor a number of plants.
Here I pull three cuttings of an Elodea plant through one hole.

 It makes four plants anchored with one shell.
 Drop all 4 plants into an aquarium.

All looks well!


I use seashells to anchor different plants - rooted or floating.





Have fun and happy aquariums ;)   

1 comment:

  1. In truth, it is the reason for the green color and pigmentation of the plants. For more information on Yellow cherry shrimps read here.

    ReplyDelete