Tuesday, November 7, 2023

How to connect wired MIDI keyboard to iPad-Pro


Here is my old M-AUDIO keystation-49 MIDI piano keyboard. 

Buy USB-C to USB-B cable on Amazon (paid link):



I connect it to PC or Mac using legacy USB-B to USB-A cable. 

The same type of USB connector you may find on old printers and such.
 This piano keyboard does not come with Bluetooth for wireless connection. 


I would love to connect this MIDI keyboard to my iPad-Pro which has only one USB-C port. 



It is a 12.9-inch iPad-Pro 3rd generation for that matter. 

A good USB hub would let me connect pretty much anything, but it has to be powered as well. 

I want a simple solution. 

Could USB-C to USB-B printer cable do the trick of connecting my MIDI keyboard with iPad-Pro? 
This USB cable has a lot of good reviews and many thousand people give it 4.7 stars rating.


 Less than 10$ price tag is affordable for a good quality cable.

 I bought this cable on July 18th, 2023. 

I got it delivered four days later on July 22nd. 
A 3 feet long cable is enough for my purpose. 



Let's connect my MIDI piano keyboard to the iPad-Pro.



 You may notice that this MIDI keyboard is also powered through the same USB cable. 
Turn on the iPad-Pro. 
The keyboard gets powered right away - I see the green LED. 


I use the GarageBand app to play and to make music for my videos. 
The virtual keyboard is okay - but I've been missing the feel of real keys. 
And here it goes...it works!! 

Just like that - plug and play out of the box. 
Aha! The volume control on the keyboard is deactivated. 
So, I will have to use the iPad volume controls instead - but that's not a problem. 



Now let's switch to the "King of FM" I have plugged into the GarageBand. 
Ho-ho-ho.
 Yes! It works too! 
I can use my MIDI piano keyboard to play any instruments in GarageBand. 
All works as it should.



 A simple USB-C to USB-B cable does the trick! 
Be aware that any Bluetooth headphones have noticeable latency playing back in GarageBand.
 If you want to use wired headphones then you have to get a USB hub with audio plug. 
And Apple allow printing only over AirPrint - my decades old printer is not supported. 
This setup works with Yousician and some other piano apps. 

Have fun and happy piano

No comments:

Post a Comment