Thursday, October 25, 2018

Land Grass in Aquarium


I grow land plants and terrestrial mosses in my aquariums.
June 7th, 2018

I take a sample of land grass from Central Park in NYC to check if it will grow underwater in my aquariums too ;) 




 It was an important step for growing other land plants/mosses underwater ;) 

Put the clean grass in a jar or a glass with dechlorinated water. 
Initially I keep the sample on a windowsill exposed to direct sunlight.

 First bubbles on the grass could be air trapped underwater. 
Shake those bubbles off.


June 13th, 2018 
New bubbles indicate that plant is alive and produces oxygen. 




June 26th, 2018
 I take new samples of land grass from Roosevelt Island. 
There are many different types of grasses growing everywhere!







 Looks like I got three types of grass. 
Wash it all thoroughly!
 Remove any wilted leaves. 





This time I fill cups with dechlorinated water, leaving leaves above the water. 
The idea is to grow new leaves underwater as I did with Peace lily and Pothos converting those plants to grow underwater. 




It is difficult to remove old leaves from big clusters of grass.
 I leave it as it is but water may get brownish. 





I keep new samples on a windowsill. 

July 9th, 2018 
The first samples did not survive. 

July 10th, 2018 
The second samples grow high. 

Remove any wilted leaves and trim the grass.

There are some new leaves grow underwater!
 Keep those leaves underwater. 




No new leaves on this sample.  


Add dechlorinated water. 


Cover cups to reduce evaporation. 

July 16th, 2018
 Add water to keep all new leaves fully submerged underwater. 
The new sprouts look healthy! 

July 21st, 2018 
Old leaves grow fast above water while old submerged leaves wilt.
 New submerged leaves grow slowly.



 I trim the old leaves and add water weekly.






 July 30th, 2018
 The samples have been submerged for over a month. 




August 1st, 2018
 Tannin from old wilted leaves makes the water yellowish. 
Here are the new green leaves that sprout and grow underwater.
 Remove and trim off all wilted leaves. 

I am going to move this grass into a new aquarium for further observation. 



In this example, I use one seashell to anchor both plants. 

Here it goes into the new nursery.


Also, I add some other land mosses into this nursery. 
More about them in future videos ;)


 August 3rd, 2018 
There are some green sprouts in this sample of grass. 


Most of the submerged old leaves wilted. 
Water is brownish. 


Untangle and remove all wilted leaves and rotten roots. 
It leaves me with about a dozen sprouts that grew underwater. 



Put them in a larger jar. 
Add dechlorinated water. 

I populate all my aquariums with seed shrimps

Make sure plants are submerged. 


The grass in the aquarium with fish looks good. 


August 15th, 2018


 August 21st, 2018 
I add pond snails into this nursery. 


There are oxygen bubbles on the grass.


 September 2nd, 2018
 I move this grass with seed shrimps and snails into a larger jar.

 One of the grass stems has grown noticeably longer than the others. 



September 25th, 2018
 This samples of the land grass has been underwater 3 months and counting. 

Old leaves wilt as time goes and new leaves seem to be slowly growing.





 I will keep you updated. 


Have fun and happy aquariums :)         

No comments:

Post a Comment