Monday, June 10, 2019

Spring fun with grass in aquarium garden


Spring is the best time of the year to grow something new in your garden.


 I build these aquarium gardens specifically to try new ideas and designs.







On April 4th, 2019, I pick flowering Whitlow Grass (Draba verna) with some land moss to check on.



Gently brush off the samples.



Scrub flat the dirt on the bottom just to make it flat.

I relocate a part of the moss in this aquarium garden to make space for new samples.



This land moss has been growing very well underwater and above.

 It grows continuously all year round, climbing to any surface it gets in touch with.

I put the new sample right here.

The sculpture and the old moss go to the back of the garden.

 I spray my aquarium garden every other day.

Keep aquarium garden covered to retain humidity in.

Here is another sample.
I put it in a smaller aquarium garden.

Also, spray it with dechlorinated water.

And keep it covered.

 The following is a time-lapse recording.





 I pick some new samples on April 21st, 2019
 This is another sample of Draba verna.

 I could not identify this grass.
Put it as it is in this aquarium garden.

And this Draba verna goes in front.



It looks pleasant.

Keep the aquarium garden covered.
 I try different plants in my aquarium gardens to see if they will grow aquaponics or even fully submerged.
Some do and some not, but it is always fun to check on.
Time-less recording helps me to make observations over periods of time.



3 days later on April 24th, the Draba verna has grown already higher than the sculpture on the back.

 I use glass marbles to make a path to the sculpture.

Keep the garden moistened.





Plants accustomed to high humidity of aquarium garden get dehydrated without cover and die in a matter of hours!
This is a one hour time-lapse recording of the same sample in normal room air humidity.



I watered the sample and I return it back to the garden one hour later to avoid any further damage.

Here you can see it back in the garden.





The Draba verna has withered by May 8th, 2019.

There are samples of other plants and mosses that I've been checking on.

 Some of them look promising.
I will tell you about them when I get more results.



I removed Draba verna to make room for new samples.

And new samples always make the garden look great!

And so it goes.

Have fun and happy aquarium gardening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment