Monday, June 3, 2019

My Back to the Future Aquarium


If this 3 liter glass jar looks familiar to you then...Привет товарищ :)


This artifact belongs to the kitchens of Soviet Union time.
I used one of these jars to make my first aquarium back in the 70s.

Seeing this jar about a half century later in New York is like...
I have to make it now!

Fill it with dechlorinated water.
Yeap, 3 liters fits in it ;)



Know the dimensions of your aquarium.
The narrowest side of an aquarium should be 3 times or more the length of the fish.
This about 15 cm diameter jar is suitable for up to a 5 cm long fish.
 My guppies are half that length ;)
Let the water sit overnight.
Add gravel, rocks, shells.

 Then I add plants.
A couple cuttings of fast growing Elodea anchored with a seashell.
Elodea was one of the plants growing in my first aquarium too :)

Now the past meets the future - I added terrestrial fern.
More about it in future videos.
 In the mean time I add pond snails.

A lava rock looks nicely in here.

And here comes Hairgrass anchored with a seashell.



I put the seashell on top of the lava rock to make a small mushroom-like cave.
A pinch of homemade fish food flakes should help the snails get by.





The next day I added java moss anchored with a seashell.

 Couple weeks later, on May 9th 2019 I add cherry shrimp.
Finally!
I have been planning to get cherry shrimp for years.
Dreams come true on Victory day :)
More about cherry shrimp in future videos.

May 11th, 2019
I add couple guppies.

There are guppies, cherry shrimp, and pond snails in this aquarium.
All coexist peacefully.

I provide the same natural aquarium fish care as in all my aquariums.

Feed my pets with homemade fish food flakes.

No water changes, no man-made filters, no air pumps.
The temperature is the same as in my apartment all year around 72-76 F.
So, there is no point of using aquarium heaters.
And it all looks good.









Here is the aquarium as it is on May 28th, 2019 set and powered by knowledge of past, curiosity to learn new and never ending love.

Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment