Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Newt is checking out new rocks


My friend Zachary shared with me some pretty rocks among other things on November 17th.


Buy rocks for aquariums on Amazon (paid link):

Many thanks to Zachary for sharing with me! Check Zachary channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmjXQpryx1ncPesdYesQClg


 Here you can see the rocks.
 And I've been looking for more rocks to use in my paludarium. 




3 red-spotted newts have been living in this paludarium for 2 months now. 


I have to move a male newt from the corner. 
That is where I want to use those rocks for making more caves along the back wall for newts to explore.


 First I move gravel to make a flat room for rocks.

 Surely there is dirt on the bottom - I don't change water and don't use filters. 


Ah! Look who is coming!

 SheShy - my very friendly female newt is always curious about everything new. 

Would SheShy let me touch her belly?

SheShy is a very lovely newt and she trusts me.


 And here she rushes to check the new rock of course.

 Let me move the camera for you to see better what SheShy is doing. 

For now she is standing on the rock and looking down on something behind the rock. 

She is a very curious newt. 

I have a couple more rocks to install. 

I see a male newt comes to check the rock as well. 
Okay, I am going to move the gravel again to make room for the rock. 

You can actually see how noticeably calmer SheShy moves than the male newt. 

The male newt seems to be in a panic mode right now. 
Calm down boy - you are totally safe with me. 

I am making a temporary rocks installation.
 In the following weeks I am planning to install more flat rocks to expand feeding spots and make more caves. 

I will have to make a separate video to show all the benefits of using flat rocks in aquariums. 

And here you can see SheShy again on the new rocks shortly after. 

It amuses me how much she likes to explore. 


She seems to me getting a bit fatter...though, I don't see her eating as much as males eat. 
Here you can see she is more rounded on her right side.

 I can assure you that SheShy moves around the tank as much if not more than males do. 
I suspect it's not the fat that makes her look round... 

We may know the cause of it in the coming months :) 
Have fun and happy newts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment