Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Kids bike converted commuter


Kids bike converted commuter

Buy kids BMX bike on Amazon (paid link):

Columbus Circle NYC, January 2024

A cyclist, on the right side of the road, forgot about his coffee when noticed my bike :)


- Sorry, may I say hello 
Hey!

- Is it BMX kids?
It is a kids bike. 
It is a kids bike :)
- That's fantastic!
I am telling you:)
I have four bikes, five.
-Wow
This one and four more.
-That's fantastic
I am telling you!

Do you mind to pull over for a second?
Yeah, yeah!
I want to tell you, say something...
We got a nice talk about this kids bike I converted for my Winter commute in NYC.

I got this Solé 20 inch all terrarium kids bike for my 4 years old granddaughter.


I changed the handlebar and the seatpost with a saddle to make it fit for me.

Also, I added the back rack with a milk crate.
And that's it - a very simple and reversible conversion.
I keep all other default manufactory parts.
Frameset FRAME: Aluminum Gusseted Frame 
FORK: Hi Tensile Steel, Tig Welded, Threadless Contact Points 
SADDLE: Comfort foam contour saddle
 GRIPS: MTB lock-on 
HANDLE BARS: 610mm wide grip alloy bars 
SEATPOST: 27.2 x 325mm Drivetrain & Brakes 
CRANKSET: 152mm crank arms
 FRONT + BACK BRAKES: Hand Brakes 
BOTTOM BRACKET: Sealed bearing, 118mm square taper 
GEAR RATIO: 8-spd rear derailleur (Shimano tourney TX). 13t-32t 
HUB: Alloy, loose ball, quick release. 
CHAIN: Rust Buster, 3/32” width 
RIM: Aluminum double walled, 32 spoke 
TIRES: 20” Kylin xl177-04, Beaded 
VALVE: Schrader 
TOTAL WEIGHT: 23.6 lbs



There are many reasons I love riding this kids bike in Winter and you may like it too.
I use this kids bike for my regular commute and shopping rides on snow, ice, wet slippery winter roads in NYC. 

A case of water or a Yuengling lager 24 bottles case fits in the milk crate and I hang a couple shopping bags next to it.


5 or 25 miles of joy - no sweat :)

This kids bike comes with wide all terrains wheels that feels very sturdy on NYC slippery Winter roads.

Way safer than the narrow wheels of my adult bike!

Here I put the kids bike next to my Raleigh commuter bike that I ride most of the time.






The kids bike with raised handlebar and extended seatpost fits me pretty well.

I am 5 feet 8 inch tall and my weight is about 150 pounds.


My height is pretty much at the maximum limit for riding the kids bike even with extended seatpost.
We will get to it again.

But first, let me show how easy it is to convert this bike making it fit for a child and then back to adult.


Here is the original saddle attached to the original seatpost.

The kids saddle is much shorter than the one I use for myself as you can see.


It takes seconds to switch seatposts using a quick release clamp.




I have pocket tools with me for all rides.

Adjusting the handlebar position takes a minute or so.
I simply lose the top screws and move the handlebar to the proper position.

Check the position and then tighten the screws.

Bike is ready for a kid to have fun.
Now let's set the bike ready for me to ride it.


I put this extended seatpost below the maximum mark to make it fit for my height.
It holds me well.
It may not do for a person taller than me.

The handlebar needs to be adjusted to make space for knees in the highest position.

That is another limitation on the height of the rider.


Again, I am 5 feet 8 inch tall - and that seems to be the height limit for this handlebar.

The original handlebar was too low for me.
I will show it to you in a while.

Let's first secure this handlebar in a proper position for me.

Here is the original handlebar this kids bike comes with.

I personally prefer an upright riding position - makes it easier for my old back pain.
I am 55 years old and my body craves for comfort rides :)

The BMX style frame of this kids bike is very sturdy and can probably hold a much heavier man than me.
My weight is 150 pounds.

Leaning forward seems to be the best for a more even weight distribution.


With my weight and height it's easy to make a wheelie right on the spot.


The 20 inch wheels and crankset, meant for kids, make effortless riding.

Riding this bike I feel like a hamster spinning inside of the toy wheel :)
The kids bike is about a foot shorter than my adult bike.

Takes less storage space but feels like I am hovering over the front wheel.
Riding this kids bike supercharges me for riding my adult bikes.
It builds up my endurance for cranking faster and longer distances.

Amazing!
A slow moving kids bike turns out to be wonderful training wheels for speed and endurance.
That is something even pro level cyclists may benefit from.
You have to try and feel it for yourself.

I am a commuter - not a racer.
I try to keep my speed under 12 miles an hour for a safe commute in NYC.
I can go double this speed on a whim riding my adult bikes.

This kids bike is perfect for safe slow commute on any slippery road.

Here is an example of my regular commute on the kids bike going on wet black ice road about 9 miles an hour.

It is about the same speed a guy rides on an adult bike in front of me.

His bike can go faster, but it's not safe on this slippery road.

My kids bike all terrain wheels feels sturdy.

I don't have to think about switching to slower speed or pulling on brakes to slow down.


I just keep cranking up or down the hill - it's all the same to me :)
20 inch wheels make it easier to go uphill.
That is where I am going to catch up with the cyclist ahead of me.

And he will be smart to go slower down the hill for his own sake.
And I just keep cranking steadily like a hamster in a toy - the kids bike cannot go any faster than that :)

I am moving pedals 2-3 times faster than I would do it on an adult bike.
And it feels effortless :)

Switching to a low speed gear on an adult bike is much harder mentally.
The kids bike has eight gears that I don't need to use at all - I am going on the fastest all the time.

It's very sturdy on any road with a steady average 9-10 miles an hour speed.

Yes, I have to crank it more than I would do otherwise on an adult bike.
And that is how riding this kids bike boosts my speed riding on the adult bike in the weather that I would rather not ride my adult bike at all.
It is something every cyclist may benefit from - and ride all year around.



I commute in NYC all year around to work, shopping or just riding for fun.

Here, take a look at my health app data.

35 miles and counting today.


My average daily ride is about 18 miles.



I ride 10000+ km throughout the year.

My longest ride was about 110 miles in one take. 
I did it last year on a 26 inch Trek mountain bike.

Okay, here I am going to slow down to make a turn.

I am riding the kids bike only on slippery Winter roads.


And I ride the same kids bike to see my granddaughter.
She lives about 3 miles away from me.
45 minutes walk or 15 minutes ride on the kids bike - it's faster than you may find parking for your car :)

My baby girl get fun riding the bike and then I ride home on the same kids bike.

And last but not least...
The kids bike is a less interesting target for bike thieves even in NYC :)

I said many great things about riding a kids bike.

Now it's up to you to test ride it.

Have fun and safe ride :)

No comments:

Post a Comment