Tuesday, November 28, 2023

How to grow Guppy Grass


I set up this and another similar aquarium back in 2019.


Buy Guppy grass on Amazon (paid link): 

 Here you can see it years later in September 2023. 


All look pretty without me doing water changes. 

And instead of man made filters I use algae and plants. 
Guppy grass is one of the easiest aquatic plants among all I've been growing in my aquariums. 
Guppy grass is a floating plant. 
And as many other floating plants, Guppy grass may develop some roots. 

Though, I remove the old bottom parts of Guppy grass once a month or so to keep it from overgrowing.


 Removing old dying plants is an important preventive measure against algae blooms.
 Just as avoiding overfeeding.


 Removing bottom parts of Guppy grass also prevents it from rooting.


I use Guppy grass for making fish food flakes. 

Here you can see Guppy grass in the other aquarium that my granddaughter cares for. 
She is 4 years old and...well, we let Guppy grass grow in this tank undisturbed for many months. 

And as a result, the Guppy grass has rooted into gravel making very pretty growing upward jungles. 


The rooted Guppy grass looks very nice! 



Blue Star Endlers fish seem to enjoy rooted Guppy grass too. 


I think it's about the right time to pull some of this Guppy grass out. 
Rooted or floating - Guppy grass needs space for growing.

And old dying parts of Guppy grass would add waste instead of taking nutrition from the water. 
Rooted or floating, wilting parts of all plants need to be removed for maintaining healthy aquariums. 

I pull out about 3/4 of all rooted Guppy grass from this tank. 






There are also Elodea, Hornwort and some other plants growing in this tank. 
However, Guppy Grass is the most dominant plant in this setup. 




It takes up to a week to air dry Guppy grass at normal room temperature. 

My fish, snails and scuds enjoy eating Guppy grass as it is or mixed with other fish food flakes. 

I feed fish every other day with food growing in the same aquariums.

 Guppy grass certainly helps to keep my aquariums sustainable and clean. 
Check my previous video for more details about Guppy grass. 
Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment