Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Orange Springtails feeding on yeast


Here you can see one of my terrariums with culture of Orange Springtails.
There is also a culture of much smaller size Temperate Springtails.


Buy Springtails locally on Craigslist: 
 or buy Springtails on Amazon (paid link): 

There are many more Springtails hidden in the substrate, in the moss and under the tree bark.

Both Springtails cultures coexist peacefully feeding on the same food.


In this example I am going to feed Springtails with active dry yeast.
The same type of yeast I use for baking.

Initially I give Springtails a very small amount of food to see if they like it.

Sprinkle the dry yeast over the tree bark surface.

It is the designated feeding place I choose for observing Springtails.


Moist the culture.


Sit back and enjoy the time-lapse view.

Springtails enjoy climbing on the wet glass walls.





It took about 24 hours for Springtails to eat clean a small pinch of dry yeast.


And here we are back to normal speed.
The Orange Springtails look very cute.

Springtails are always busy moving around as they keep cleaning terrariums.
Here you can see the thick moving carpet of Temperate Springtails.

Orange Springtails are very adorable critters.

I enjoy keeping them in my terrariums.
I will tell you more about Springtails in future videos.
Have fun and happy Springtails :)

No comments:

Post a Comment