Tuesday, January 9, 2024

How to keep worms alive


In one of my previously published videos I explained where I find different types of worms. 
Now, let's set up a container for keeping worms alive until we need them. 


Buy worms on amazon (paid link): 

Any plastic container with a cover would do for keeping worms. 

Put some paper, recycling paper, newspapers and such in the container. 



Soak the paper in tap water. 



Drain excess water to prevent the bedding from becoming soggy.
 Worms need moisture and can survive underwater for over a week - I have a video about it too :) 




Add worms in the container with soaked paper. 


Worms hide quickly under the wet paper. 

Add some sand or soil. 
Worms need it for digesting food.



 Paper serves as medium and as food for worms. 
I use wilted leaves in addition or instead of paper. 
Leaves are the natural food for worms.


 I always moisturize the culture on the days of feeding.

 Worms eat a day or two about their own weight of scraps of almost any green food from your kitchen.
 Here I give them banana peels enhanced with egg shells. 




Worms need air for survival. 
So, make sure the container has some air circulation. 
Replace the worm bedding every month or so to refresh the environment and remove waste. 

And again, you can use and reuse any containers for keeping worms. 
Here I am setting up a worm farm for feeding my Eastern newts. 


More details about farming worms all year around in a future video. 
Have fun and happy worms :)



No comments:

Post a Comment