Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Endlers Feeding on Algae


Here you can see the first time I fed algae to my Blue Star Endlers. 


Buy Endlers locally on Craigslist:

I always give any new food at a regular feeding time. 



You can see Endlers swimming by searching for regular fish food flakes they usually would get :) 

Okay, let's drop the algae down and let it sink. 

Either fish or snails will find and eat the algae later. 

Meantime, let's try feeding in another aquarium. 
I drop the algae in one of my 3 liter aquarium jars. 


And here you can see...ah, big mama goes for algae in full force.



 Younger fish nibble on algae too. 
Here the queen returns and all other fish have to move away from her algae. 


Yep, the queen rules it all in Endlers and Guppy societies too. 


All other fish may have some slice or crumble after the queen leaves. 


I use aged dechlorinated tap water for refilling my aquariums. 




Add cold tap water in the glass jar. 
Do not wash the jar between refills! 




Leave the jar open for chlorine to evaporate.
 I keep the jar by the aquarium. 

Common green algae grows faster when exposed to more sunlight. 

Give it a month or so and you will see green algae growing on the glass. 

The water is crystal clean. 
The walls covered in the green algae makes it look green.


 I normally empty the jar with whatever green algae floats right in the aquarium. 
Fish and critters will find the algae and eat it at their leisure. 

Or we can swipe the film of green algae off the walls. 
Notice, only the green algae is good for feeding fish and critters. 
Fish don't like brown algae that grow in low light. 





The film of algae is made of single algae cells you can see in drops of water here. 


Common green algae is healthy, protein rich food for fish fry and all kinds of tiny critters. 
Algae is a fundamental part of the food chain. 
It's more than power food. 
Algae is the most efficient and resilient filter known in this world. 

I am going to tease my fish a little bit - let them chase it :)
 I cultivate algae in every aquarium. 
It's important to control algae growth to prevent algae bloom. 
Avoid overfeeding your fish and grow land plants with roots in water. 
Those are the most efficient ways of preventing algae blooms. 
There are different ways of growing algae for feeding fish. 
Double walled aquariums is one of the ways I used to grow algae. 
And algae scrubbers - the best man-made filters that utilize the algae natural power to filter water.
 Algae scrubber filters come in sizes suitable for any aquarium or pond.
 Well, I have videos for you to check about all those filters and algae control for more details.




 Back to the feeding fish.
 Fresh algae is a very healthy food fish enjoys. 
Growing algae the way I do it in the refill jar cost me nothing. 
There is literally no maintenance or any time wasting. 
And the main thing - fish love fresh green algae food!
Have fun and happy fish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment