Friday, August 2, 2024

Different Isopods I found in NY


Different Isopods I found in NY

Buy Isopods Locally on Craigslist: 
 Buy Isopods on Amazon (paid link): 

I found different types of isopods while exploring local parks of NY.
 Here you can see me picking isopods under rocks and tree bark at Crotona park in the Bronx. 





That is where I found these guys in January 2023. 

6 giants - I call them for their size. 
The adult giants grow over 2cm long sporting shiny dark colors. 

Giants are not the fastest moving isopods among all I've seen. 
These isopods can roll into a ball. 


6 isopods was enough to establish a colony. 

I spotted baby isopods about 4 weeks after the initial setup. 
Here you can see about 2 weeks old baby isopods. 

These giant isopods seem to enjoy a high humidity feeding mostly on tree bark and wilted leaves.


 I keep my isopods in 16oz plastic containers feeding and misting cultures once a week. 

I found Oniscus isopods in Kissena park in Queens in June 2022.
 Oniscus grow less than 2cm long and have a distinct skirt around the body. 
You can see them in a previously published video "Isopods don't eat mold - experiment". 


Here you can see the smallest isopods among all I've seen in New York. 

I found these isopods at Prospect park in Brooklyn in December 2022. 
They grow up to 1cm. 

Shiny brown little guys move pretty fast. 


They also like moist tree bark and wilted leaves.

 I spotted the first speckle sized babies about 6 weeks after the initial setup. 

These little isopods turn to be very reproductive in high humidity at room temperature.

 I found Nosy Pill isopods at Staten Island in May 2023. 
These isopods grow less than 2cm large, feeding on tree bark and wilting leaves.

They are good runners and have high reproduction rate too.

And here you can see the most common isopods I found in many parks of New York. 

Relatively large isopods growing less than 2cm long in my terrariums. 
They thrive in high humidity and breed proficiently.

 I've seen newborn isopods every 4-5 weeks or so. 
Newborn isopods are very tiny speckle size. 
I have to use the camera zoom or magnifying glass to see newborn isopods. 


I have many videos about these isopods - where to find, how to take care and how to farm them

I've been farming these isopods in huge quantities primarily for feeding my newts and fish. 

Here you can see an adult Eastern newt is haunting an isopod. 
2 dozen of well established cultures in 16oz containers provide enough isopods for feeding 3 adult newts year round. 








Have fun and happy pets :)

No comments:

Post a Comment