Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Painters Palette Plant in Aquariums


Painter's Palette Plant in Aquariums

I've been growing Painter’s Palette plants with roots in water since 2021.
The Painters Palette has been growing wonderfully well in my aquariums.

Virtually, it grows without any care.
I remove some wilted leaves only once in a season, and that's it.



Also, I've been growing successfully Painter's Palette plants with very little natural light.
Painter's Palette is the best plant among all I tried to grow in low light with roots in water.


Here you can see another a couple years old Painter's Palette plant.
Terrestrial plants growing with roots in water feed on nutrients dissolved in water.
So the plants serve as natural filters in aquariums.
I never change water in my aquariums.



December 2022
I cut off the top part of one of my old Painter's Palette plants.

I want to check how the Painter's Palette cuttings would grow in a high humidity paludarium.

There is a platform above the water covered with moss and other terrestrial plants.
The bottom of the cutting goes in the water.


Also, I populate the platform with isopods, snails, and springtails for feeding my fish and newts.

I keep the tank covered all the time to prevent water evaporation.

There are a couple of holes in the cover to allow air circulation.

April 2023.
You may notice a Peace Lily plant grows double the size of a Painter's Palette plant.
Both plants belong to the same family.

The shorter growing Painter's Palette fits better in this paludarium.
I am moving the Painter's Palette plant to the wall to make more open space in the middle.


As you can see here, I've been trying many different terrestrial plants to grow with roots in water. 
Interestingly, only Dayflower plants among all blooms while growing with roots in water.
Though all plants serve wonderfully well as filters, I never got algae outbreaks.

July, 2024
I modified platforms for growing aquatic scuds in the same tank.

You can see here the Painter's Palette plant in all its beauty hanging by the wall.


The color of the roots makes it very pretty.

Notice that only the bottom parts of the roots are in water.




November 2024
This Painter's Palette plant has been growing for almost 2 years in this high-humidity tank.


Once again, the Painter's Palette plant proved to be maintenance-free and a very attractive-looking plant for growing with roots in water.

It's my favorite terrestrial plant to grow in aquariums.
Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment