There are different ways of keeping aquariums clean and attractive.
I am a big fan of self-sustaining aquariums like this one.
No filters, and no water changes.
The water stays clean, and the aquarium stays healthy thanks to the well-balanced ecosystem I create and keep in this tank.
Interestingly, the dirt— literally the fish waste and algae deposits— are at the core of this ecosystem.
Let's take a closer look at the dirty parts of the tank.
I've been housing different fish in this aquarium through the years.
Here you can see the tank when it was about one year old.
An elevated flat feeding spot in the center helps to distribute the fish waste to the sides of the tank.
The biggest deposits of dirt are already noticeable at the corners of the tank.
Deposits of common green algae build up on the sides of the rocks.
Scuds are having the time of their lives grazing on algae and munching on fish food waste.
Here you can see the same tank when it was about 2 and a half years old.
More waste accumulated, dead snails’ shells on display - it would take years for shells to get dissolved.
I don't change the water, don't remove the waste.
All that dirt and algae stays where it is to provide a foundation for the healthy aquarium.
All that dirt is always prominently on display and yet barely noticeable unless I point your attention to it.
The water is clean, plants thriving, happy fish - there is nothing to remove.
The dirt stays in - for everyone's joy :)
The nature is amazing at self-balancing.
I learnt through decades that the most challenging in aquarium hobby is letting it be.
The healthy aquariums come with a healthy amount of dirt.
Let it be.
Have fun and happy aquariums :)





















No comments:
Post a Comment