Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Land Moss for Aquarium


May 7th, 2017
I picked different types of land moss on my trip to the Central park of NYC, so I could check if they can grow underwater.







This moss has a nice appearance.

I got a sample.
 I was not able to identify this moss or whatever it is...hope you can do better on this matter.Thanks to YouTuber Thành Nguyễn Vĩnh for identifying it as Plagiomnium acutum or rose moss!
Thank you Thành Nguyễn Vĩnh1!!


 Wash it thoroughly under running water.
 It is important to get rid of all dirt and critters that may be stuck there.



Place clean moss in a clear disposable plastic cup.



 Fill the cup with dechlorinated water.



May 14th, 2017
 This moss produces less oxygen than Bryum mosses, shown in my previous videos (check links in a description to the video for more details).



July 13th, 2017
I added this moss to different aquariums.
 In this example, I anchored moss to rocks using cotton sewing thread.



 It goes into my newly built HD aquarium.



July 21st, 2017
 In this example, I put moss under a rock in a new nursery.

 October 18th, 2017
This land moss grows underwater in a similar way, though slower, than the Bryum mosses do.


Let's see how much it has grown.

 Some strings are about 20 cm long.
 The parts of moss that have grown underwater look different.

 Trim off the moss.



The old moss goes to the old nursery.
 I put cut offs in a cup for now.

October 22nd, 2017
 In this example, I anchor strings of moss between driftwood made of toothpicks.


2-3 toothpicks fit nicely inside of an old air tube.

Place as many strings of moss as you like between the toothpicks.
 Lock both ends of toothpicks with about 5 mm pieces of air tube.


This goes to a new nursery.

January 4th, 2018
 Here, you can see the first sample of this land moss growing underwater for over 9 months.


January 25th, 2018
Here, you can see the nursery where I planted cuttings of the moss anchored by toothpick driftwood.

 I have young guppies in this nursery.
Also, there are two other types of land moss growing in this aquarium.

This is haircap/star moss.

 Bryum moss is on the left.



 Here, you can see the moss anchored to rocks in my HD aquarium.





This string has grown to 18 cm long in the past 6 months.
 I may need to trim it soon.


Here, you can see snails eggs on the moss.


This land moss, growing nicely underwater, makes a valuable addition to my aquariums.
 Have fun and happy aquariums :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment