Monday, April 16, 2018

3D Nano Aquarium


I use a piece of plexiglass shaped in a semicircle (it used to be a paper towel holder) for building my 3D aquarium.




 Use a flat piece of plexiglass to make the bottom.

Trace the shape of the bottom using a marker.



 Cut it out using a saw.
File the edge of the bottom piece to fit the outline.
I use 5 mm thick plexiglass.
It works well for my HD aquarium.

 I use acrylic solvent (SCIGRIP 4) known as Weld-on 4 to glue this aquarium.


Weld-on 4 is very toxic!
 It evaporates quickly!

Apply the solvent using an applicator.

 Let it dry.

Use another flat piece of plexiglass to make the front.

Trace the contour of the front side using a marker.


I cut it out using a saw.

 File the edges as best you can.

 Align pieces together.
Apply the solvent using an applicator.

Let it dry for 24 hours.


The shape is not a perfect semicircle, yet it should work for this prototype.

 Fill the aquarium with water to the top to check for any leaks.

 No leaks for 24 hours!
Empty the aquarium.

 I set up all aquariums in the same way.
Add some gravel.

This land moss grows nicely underwater.
I put it on the bottom of the nursery.

Anchor the moss with a rock.


 Add dechlorinated water.
900 ml of water fit in this tank.

 Tilted background makes the aquarium more pleasant to look at.


I add more land moss.

Seed shrimps are my indispensable cleaning crew.

I add them to all my aquariums.

And so I add freshwater snails. 




 November 25th, 2017
 The nursery is all set.
A pinch of homemade fish food flakes helps the critters to get by.

 I use a 2 mm thick piece of plexiglass to make a cover for the top of this aquarium.


The cover reduces water evaporation and can be served as a base/ holder for plants and LED light.

 I use a wooden box as a base for the aquarium.


The LED light is going on top.
 And the entire aquarium is going on the wooden base.

 Take measurements of the base and the height, including the LED.



I use a 5 mm thick black foam board to make a box for the aquarium with the wooden base and the LED.



Use a sharp blade to cut the foam board according to the measurements.

 Here are 4 sides for the box and a small piece to hold the top.
I made the front side 5 mm higher (thickness of the board) than the other 3 sides.


Cut out a window in the front side of the box.

The dimensions and the position of the window align with the front side of the aquarium.



Glue the small piece to the inner side above the window, 5 mm to the top.



Apply sticky tape on the inner side of the box to hold it together.




This black box hides the sides of the aquarium, helping to create a 3D illusion of infinitive depth and serves as a showcase.

Put the showcase on the aquarium.

 Only the front side of the aquarium can be seen through the window.
The wooden base and the LED are hidden behind the front wall of the showcase.





Cut a hole at the top edge of the back side of the showcase.
This hole is necessary for the LED's power cable.



Use a piece of black foam board as a top cover for the showcase.

The top cover rests on the 3 sides of the showcase and the small piece attached to the front side.

Use sticky tape to fix the top cover to the back of the showcase.

Cut a piece of white paper for the tilted background.

December 18th, 2017
I added young guppies to this aquarium.

 Put the showcase on the aquarium.


Put the tilted background in the place.




 I feed fish with homemade food.

Cover the aquarium. 
Place LED on the top.
Note that the LED is optional.




 Let's try it!

 The semicircle background creates 3D illusion of infinite depth.
The 3D illusion is persistent regardless of viewing angle.

Here I move the camera side to side.
Absence of corners at the back of the aquarium tricks human eyes even though I used an imperfect semicircle :)



February 13th, 2018
 I replace fish with 2nd generation newborn guppies.

They are a higher priority for my projects!


Also, I added new plants.


The narrowest side of this aquarium is 9 cm.



March 17th, 2018
Here you can see the aquarium without LED.


Here a freshwater snail shows amazing scuba-diving skills.













I follow the same natural aquarium fish care routine as described in previous video.





 Have fun and happy aquariums :)    

1 comment: