Thursday, June 28, 2018

DIY Moss Tree


May 10th, 2018
 I pick up some fresh green land moss.



I have the same type of moss growing for about a year in my aquariums.







Notice, this sample grows on a wall of wet rocks - it should be easy to wash this moss ;)
Check my previous videos on how to wash and prepare land moss for aquarium.









 This time, I put thoroughly washed moss in a seed shrimp nursery.
 Let them have some fun ;)







 Keep the moss underwater for a week or longer.



 I am going to put some of this moss in a new aquarium.





 The moss is already soaked.
Therefore, it will sink and stay at the bottom.



In this example, I anchor moss to a piece of driftwood.
Check my previous videos on how to make driftwood.

 Wrap a bushy piece of moss around the top of the stick.







 Tie the moss to the stick with a couple loose loops of cotton sewing thread or fishing line around lower part of the moss.
Be mindful about applying your force!
 Tight loops may cut through moss.



In this example, I use about 6 cm long piece of wood that is about 2 cm thick.

The base of the stick is cut flat, and it is wide enough to keep the tree standing on a flat surface.











 Put the tree into the aquarium.



Ghost shrimps like to to climb up and hide under the tree.



Fish like to swim around it too ;)



Have fun and happy aquariums :)

2 comments:

  1. Do you know if bryoandersona illecebra moss can be put into the aquarium. Some of my guppies died but some are still alive, I don't know it is due to the moss or the oxygen level might be too low. So I want to know if this type of moss is good for the guppies or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check videos on this playlist for all land mosses that I tried in my aquariums:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms9D7_xyvPQ&list=PLM88hGt0AfGsixNh13_DSMfDbj0Bg6qoP
      All the best!

      Delete