Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Quest to Find Newts part 1


After setting up a paludarium, I started looking for red-spotted newts in local parks of New York.


 I vent through parks of Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. 
You may see some of my adventures in previous videos. 

The last one was on September 12th in a livestream when I found a box turtle. 

Here is another take on it. 







I've seen some snakes in this park a bit earlier - they move faster than I could take a video of them. 
I like Blue Heron park - I believe it's preserved as a forever wild place. 
Well, I did not find red-spotted newts or eft on my previous trips here. 
So, I decided to check about newts here with local park rangers. 
Park rangers are one of the greatest and reliable sources of information about local nature. 
They have not seen red-spotted newts here recently. 
I am not seeking other types of newts, reptiles that could be found here. 
So, with the end of this warm season my chances of finding red-spotted newts diminish rapidly. 
I will take one more chance of finding newts in this season at the Bear Mountain park upstate of New York. 
Meantime, take a look at what I found here, at Blue Heron park. 

I always look for new land mosses to try them growing underwater. 
This pretty one caught my attention. 

Someone left this green moss-like synthetic carpet under the tree. 

Seems like the real live moss took it kind of personally... as an intrusion on its tree and land. 



The fake moss still holds to the base layer.

 But the real live moss covered it all and seems to hold the upper hand in this battle. 

In this real moss vs fake moss challenge, Nature is the ultimate winner! 




Now, back to my quest of finding red-spotted newts. 
I have some cool staff to share with you about it in the following weeks.
 Have fun and happy adventures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment