Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Backlight for Aquarium

 
After months of struggling with seeing reflection in my aquarium I decided to try LED backlight.


Buy this LED strip on Amazon (paid link):


 Yeah, let's give it a spin.

Years back I used LED to decorate my aquariums for night shows - I like it a lot!
Check out my Night aquarium video to see it all.

This time I chose a Govee LED strip designed to use as a backlight for TV and such.
It is not a full spectrum LED for aquariums to be clear.
My aquarium gets enough natural indirect sunlight for that matter.
All I want is to use this LED strip to reduce reflection on the front glass for video recordings.
And to make the aquarium prettier.
The polarized filter for a video camera removes only reflection from one source of light - I have 3.









Okay, let's check if this USB powered LED strip works before installing it.


It works out of the box!

The wired control has 3 buttons.
One button changes the music modes - looks cool!



The middle button controls the single color of the strip.




And the third button turns the LED on / off.

I can put this LED strip in different ways on the back of my 29 gallon tank.

This LED strip is actually about a foot short for covering the pan of this tank.

Though, it is about 2 feet longer than the length of the shelf where I keep my aquariums on.


And this LED strip is waterproofed!
That is a great safety future to have for accidental water splashes.


I am going to put the LED strip in this way, flat on the shelf right behind my aquariums.


Let's check if I can plug it in the wall outlet.

Yes, the wire is long enough.

And the mic on the LED strip works too!
Yeah! The light changes along with sound and music.






Okay, let's put the LED strip behind aquariums.

The back of the LED strip has sticky - I am not using it.


I am going to use a regular clear sticky tape to secure the ends of the LED strip for now.
This way I can easily rearrange the LED strip later if I choose so.

Oh, let's put the sea-star on the back of my paludarium where it belongs.


Show time!


3 minutes installation time and...I already like it!!

And there is more to it!

There is an app to control the LED strip from the phone...
It's called Govee Home.



The app connects to the LED control box over Bluetooth.

And it works with Siri too.

There are so many different modes and presets to choose from!

The mic can be turned on and off from the app.

It would take me all night long to try all the different modes.
And I don't see the reflection on the front glass at this range!

Well, there is a reflection from TV on the glass of another aquarium - that's all about the angles.
I can work with that!



You will see much improved videos of my aquariums - with Newts too :)
Let's try single colors - beautiful!
All works great!



This LED strip makes the best holiday gift for my aquariums :)

We're going party! 
We are going party!!
Have fun and colorful aquariums :)



No comments:

Post a Comment