Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Newts Feeding on Snails


Observing wild caught adult Eastern newts (also known as Red-spotted newts) in aquariums reveals many interesting details. 


Buy Ramshorn Snails locally on Craigslist: 
or buy Ramshorn Snails on Amazon (paid link): 


For example, the population of snails in the aquarium has declined rapidly in the first week. 
In the following months I could find only large adult snails in the tank with the newts. 
All young snails and even snail eggs seem to disappear in this tank. 

I started adding Ramshorn, Bladder and Trumpet snails from my other aquariums into the paludarium with the newts. 



I drop 3-5 small snails every day of one week to boost the population of snails in this tank. 

Newts are very observing pets. 

I notice my newts start hanging around the feeding spot where I drop snails at the same time. 


The following observation explains the declining population of snails.



 Yep, the adult Red-spotted newts eat snails. 



And apparently newts also wipe out pockets of snail eggs in the tank. 

I want to express my gratitude to Beryl from New York for sharing her snails (and more!) with me.


 Thank you Beryl! 
My newts enjoy your snails greatly!! 


Initially I put the snails Beryl shared with me in a couple tanks where I breed snails and scuds for feeding newts. 



Here they go. 
For years I've been populating all my aquariums with snails and scuds and other critters before adding fish. 
Snails and scuds and such are essential for my sustainable self-feeding aquariums.
 For feeding 3 adult newts I have to breed snails in separate tanks in big quantities. 

From now on, I add 3-5 snails a couple times a week in the tank with Newts. 

Newts are quick to adjust their hunting time to match the time I feed them.  


Here a newt is coming after a medium size bladder snail.

 It's interesting and even funny to watch newts picking snails from the surface. 

Red-spotted newts don't have teeth to bite with. 

The protruding forward upper jaw makes it harder for newts to pick anything laying on the ground. 


This snail is a bit too large to fit in the mouth of this newt.

 Ha-ha 



Okay, this snail is large enough to survive and breed in this tank.


Each of my 3 adult Red-spotted newts has different food preferences - no kidding! 
The only one common thing is that all 3 newts eat live food only. 

Here you can see a male newt comes to check on snails. 

He passes over a small snail, but gets interested in a medium size snail. 






No...this snail is too large for the newt. 




He takes a long look at even a larger snail... 


Yeah, it could be a nice meal to think about... 

Pass it on and let the snail lay eggs that the newt will have no problem to eat. 

I could not find any snail eggs in this paludarium for months.
 And you know...bladder and pond and ramshorn snails lay eggs frequently in large quantities. 
Perhaps adding more larger size snails would help.
 Though, I would refrain from keeping trapdoor snails in aquariums with Newts. 
A closing operculum of a trapdoor snail may catch and hurt a newt hunting the snail. 
It is just my hypothesis - the one I do not wish to investigate.

 So, I keep only Ramshorn, Bladder and Trumpet snails in the tank with Red-spotted newts.



 Here you can watch a female Red-spotted newt named SheShy go after a snail. 


SheShy feeds exclusively on snails and scuds.
 Occasionally she may go after small isopods. 


A dark-green male newt comes to check what SheShy is hunting on.




 Oh, she really wants to get that snail.
 Smaller size snails get swallowed by newts much faster. 
Notice a couple red worms laying around.



 I actually have never seen SheShy eating worms before! 




Ha-ha, she threw the worm away right in the male newt mouth. 


Let's play it again but slower. 
Here she got that ugly worm she does not want to eat. 
The male newt did not expect to get a worm in his mouth.



 Now we are back to normal speed. 

SheShy is back to the snail - it is her meal.





 SheShy would not share her meal! 
Yeah boy, go away. 


Yeah! Atta-girl! SheShy got that snail. 



I have much more to share about feeding Red-spotted newts.
 And about farming different food for newts. 


You will see it all in future videos. 
Have fun and Happy newts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment