Friday, May 24, 2024

Drift Ghost XL pro camera I returned


Drift Ghost XL pro camera I returned

Buy Drift Ghost XL pro camera on Amazon (paid link):

I've been waiting for a Drift Ghost XL pro camera backorder for over 4 months.
Finally I got the camera on July 1st, 2023
I bought the camera through Amazon from the official Drift store - paid full price.

The Drift Ghost XL pro camera has all the specs I could dream of to use as a bicycle commuter.
7 hours recording in HD or 4+ hours in 4K.
The Ghost XL pro camera is built for all weather.
And there is a clone mode for pairing with up to 10 cameras to record simultaneously!



I can attach an external mic to the camera too.
It comes with helmet attachments - those would not hold on my vented helmet.




The Drift Ghost XL pro is built with mind to use for motorcyclists to start with. 
This camera feels made very solid.
It can be mounted on a standard tripod.
And it comes with a quick release clamp.





I intend to record videos in a loop mode.
So, even a 32G card should do fine for me.
Though, the Drift Ghost XL pro camera supports cards up to 252G.




The camera supports recording while plugged in a charger.

The Drift Ghost XL pro camera can start recording the instants when you plug it in a charger.
Connect this camera to your e-bike battery and it will start recording the second you turn on your bike.
Motorcyclists and e-bike riders will appreciate this feature!
7 hours of recording in HD on a charged battery should do for my 3 hours average rides.

The changing color of the screen serves as a nice indicator.
I like it!


The camera settings and recording modes can be adjusted on the go using physical buttons.

Differently colored screen for each section of the menu makes it easier to navigate.







Okay, let's leave the camera on and check what the phone app can offer.
Download the official app.

Connect the camera to the app through Wi-Fi.

The app looks nice and robust.

I can use the Drift Ghost XL pro camera paired with a phone app to do live streaming on YouTube.
That would be cool for my future bikes adventures :)






I can see the camera view on the phone app here.

And I can download video files from the camera to my phone.

The provided helmet attachments don't fit on my vented helmet.
It should work for motorcycle helmets.


I bought a vented helmet mount from Drift shop to fit this camera on my helmet.

The camera lens can be rotated to a desirable angle.
It's a very handy feature for mounting the camera anywhere on the bike or helmet.


The vented helmet mount from Drift is very good!
Check my previously published video about it: 





I am all ready and set for testing the camera on the ride :)

This is recording in HD 30 fps without image stabilization.


The same HD 30 fps without image stabilization at night time.

There are a lot of bumps and holes on this street.

New York city roads could be much better for how much tax money we pay here.

I ride a lot during night time.
The Drift Ghost XL pro camera does pretty good video at night in the city even without image stabilization.

Here you can see how the camera handles a section of the street with different light.


All looks good day or night.



Now let's check the camera recording in HD 30 fps with image stabilization.
The image stabilization works very well at day time.



Here I am riding through a bumpy section of the bridge.
I can get a better sound recording on the camera using an external mic.
The image stabilization makes video recording noticeably smoother.



Here I am going through 3 bumps in a row each about 1 inch deep.

Bumps are barely noticeable in the video.

I like it with image stabilization :)

And now let's check the Drift Ghost XL pro in 4K 30 fps with image stabilization at night.

The camera picks plate numbers pretty well.


There are a lot of wild animals in the city.


I need a couple cameras for recording my commute rides across New York city zoo.

It would be nice to have another camera on the back for recording the rear view as well.




There are too many situations on streets when camera recordings could be potentially useful.

I used the Drift Ghost XL pro camera only for two days and love it.




The battery stopped charging on the third day.
I tried using different chargers and resets and firmware updates - nothing helps.
The camera was still recording, powered directly from the charger.
I returned the camera.
Have fun and working camera :)

No comments:

Post a Comment