Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Trumpet Snails Aquariums

Trumpet Snails Aquariums 

Buy trumpet snails on Amazon (paid link): https://amzn.to/43OzM97

February 7th, 2022 

Beryl from NYC gave me Trumpet snails among other snails she provided on different occasions. 

Many thanks to Beryl for helping feed my newts! 

I put Trumpet snails in a couple of my well established aquariums already populated with other snails. 



 I have Ramshorn and Bladder snails in all my aquariums.


Trumpet snails have elongated conical shells. 


I also put about a dozen Trumpet snails into this 8 liter aquarium of my youngest son. 
It's always better to have a couple colonies for continued supply. 






I don't change the water in my aquariums. 
And I don't use filters. 



Plants and fish provide plenty of waste for snails to feed on. 

You can see a layer of sediments accumulated on the gravel over about 5 years of this tank. 




Most of the time Trumpet snails stay on the bottom of the tank burrowing in the gravel. 

I rarely see them climbing on the walls like this. 


Trumpet snails certainly like algae. 
Here you can see a Trumpet snail races a Ramshorn snail to feed on a large chunk of algae. 








The interesting thing about Trumpet snails is that you don't really see them until there are too many of them. 
Baby snails are just a couple millimeters long while adults grow over 2cm long. 

Trumpet snails give birth to many live baby snails while hidden in the gravel. 

Here you can see the number of trumpets 3 months later in May 2022.

 Trumpet snails seem to reproduce faster than Ramshorn and Bladder snails in my aquariums. 



It's easy to scoop snails out from walls on the days when they come out in numbers.


 Here I got enough snails for feeding 3 adult Eastern newts for a week. 

Simply drop snails into an aquarium with newts. 


Only large snails that do not fit in the mouth of my newts would survive the hunt. 
Here you can see my newt-a-girl SheShy is searching for snails.

Snails and scuds are her favorite food. 




My male newts are less picky about food - they will go after any grubs :) 


In this example, SheShy found a swallowing size Ramshorn snail. 




Trumpet snails' ability to hide in the substrate and their fast reproduction rate helps them to survive.
 Have fun and happy aquariums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment