Sunday, July 15, 2018

Feeding Fish with Algae


Here is my HD aquarium equipped with algae scrubber HOG.5 (on the left) provided kindly by Santa Monica Filtration.


 I've been using it in this aquarium since Summer 2017.
Algae scrubbers are the best aquarium filters and much more!
 For one thing - I don't change water in the aquarium.

Once in every 2-3 weeks, I collect algae from the algae scrubber.








 This is too much of algae for one feeding ;)

I split collected algae into portions suitable for one feeding each.


Here I have 24 portions.

In this example, I put 10 portions in a cup with dechlorinated water.

 Freeze or use the rest of the algae to make fish food flakes.

I keep the cup with fresh algae on a windowsill.


Drop a portion of fresh algae in the aquarium with fish at a regular feeding time.


 Guppies of all ages and genders nibble on algae.






 In this example, I feed fish with fresh algae 10 days in a row.
 Normally my guppies eat algae a couple times a week.

The algae stays fresh in a cup of water on a windowsill until the next harvest.


Add dechlorinated water as necessary.



I use remains of the algae to feed seed shrimps.

Seed shrimps and other critters thrive in algae filled nurseries all year round!



On the right is one of my old nurseries.




In this example, I give algae to a couple months old guppies.


They love algae and critters for a snack!



 It takes more than a gang of little guppies to take away fresh algae from Ghost shrimps ;)





 Ghost shrimps seem to prefer fresh green algae over any other food that I feed to them so far.


Have fun and happy fish :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment