Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Earthworm in an Aquarium


May 30th, 2018
 I found this earthworm in a sample of land moss that I've been growing underwater in my aquariums.



Usually, I add earthworms into homemade fish food flakes.
 In this example, I drop the worm into an aquarium with about 2 month old guppies.

 Guppies are curious and they try to nibble everything.
 The worm is too large for my toothless fish :)
 Fish nibbling bothers the worm and speeds up the worm retreat.
The worm hides under gravel.
Earthworms breath by absorbing oxygen through their moist skin.
Since oxygen levels in water are much lower than in air, I wonder how long this earthworm will survive underwater.

 June 3rd, 2018


June 4th, 2018


Here you can see the inner guts of the worm.
 Whatever dirt was inside of the worm is washed out.
 Could it be that the fish waste from half a dozen 2 month old guppies is not enough for a worm of this size?



June 5th, 2018
 Looks like the worm likes this corner.

June 6th, 2018
The worm is inside of the moss.

 June 9th, 2018
 It is about 7 am.
The worm is very active.

 It is about 6 pm.
 And it is the last time I see the worm.
This earthworm lived underwater at least 9 days.
 Have fun and happy aquariums :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment