Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Aquarium Heater


Aquarium Heater

Buy hygger aquarium heater on Amazon (paid link):

I've been living in an apartment with a temperature control set for 72-76F all year around. 
It's very sufficient and convenient for me and my aquariums.



The temperature stays in my aquariums around 72F all year round.
My fish and Eastern newts have no complaints to speak of in this regard.

Though, I remember my wild caught newts were quite confused about the season at the beginning.
I got them in September from cold creek water into my warm apartment.
The sudden change in water temperature from cold to warm prompted newts to start mating.

Eastern newts mate in the Nature at the end of the winter through the beginning of the spring.
There is only one season in my temperature controlled apartment.





I can use an aquarium heater for making seasonal temperature changes for newts and fish to enjoy.

Here comes a Hygger mini heater.
Hygger makes submersible heaters designed for different size aquariums.
I chose the 100W model designed for 10 to 21 gallon tanks.
The larger aquariums the more power it takes to keep it warm.

The heater comes with two suction cups/holders and a manual.

Explosion-proof quartz heating tube should be fully submerged underwater.

59 to 93F temperature control range works pretty much for any aquatic pets I could think of.






The LED display with control button is attached to a 6 feet long power cord.
That's long enough to fit into my 29 gallon tall aquarium.




The manufacturer suggests using heaters with enough water flow.

I've been using the Hygger water pump you can see here in an ongoing experiment.
More about the experiment in future videos :)

It works great - check my previously published video for more details about it.




Let's attach the suction cups to the heating rod.





And simply stick the heating rod underwater to the wall of the tank.
I put the heater in the corner at the front of the tank for you to see it.
Otherwise I would hide it on the back of the tank.


Here you can see the LED display.

It would not hurt to make a drip-loop as I did here for safety.

Let's plug it in.

Press the button on the display for setting a desirable water temperature in the range from 59 to 93F.



The water is not going to get cooler than room temperature.
It's about 72F in my apartment.

So, I am going to set the aquarium heater to 78F.
The LED display shows the current temperature of the water.

The red light indicates that the heater is warming.

It keeps warming until the water temperature gets to the set level.

78F is what I set the heater for.
The green light indicates that the heater is on standby.
The memory function of the heater switches the heater on or off as necessary.


This heater is fully automated.
Simple and very effective.



Press the button to see what temperature the heater is set for.


After 3 seconds it shows the current water temperature.



The temperature fluctuates 2-3 degrees around the set temperature.
So basically, I can plug the heater in and forget about it.
This way my fish would have 78F in the "Summer" season and a cozy 72F room temperature the rest of the year :)








I am going to use the same heater to make a 78F warm "Summer" season in a 3 liter jar aquarium.


The size of the heater is about as the diameter of the jar - so I can place it horizontally.
This is about a 2 month old aquarium populated with snails and scuds.
I've been preparing this aquarium garden for Least Killifish.

Let's pull the heater through the hole in the planter.





I would cover the heating rod with rocks for a permanent installation.

Let's leave the heater as it is for the "Summer" season.


So far I have only 4 least killifish housing in an 8 liter aquarium garden.
Though, I have plenty of Blue Star Endlers fish - some of them grow up in 3 liter aquariums.


I put a family of young Endlers, 1 female and 2 males in this aquarium garden.




They start hunting scuds right away :)
These small sustainable aquarium gardens are perfect for making all kinds of experiments.


The water temperature is 72F without the heater.
I've been asked many times in previous years how I keep the temperature in my aquariums.
It's that simple in a temperature controlled apartment.
And now I have a water heater to make seasonal variations of water temperature.


I am going to find out what effect it would have on fish and how well the heater would work without water flow.
I don't use water pumps or filters and I don't change water in my aquariums.



I think it is practical to use a heater in a 3 liter aquarium without a water pump.
I will keep you updated on this matter.



Also, the heating rod emits green LED light visible in dark.

Here you can see it on both ends of the rod. 


It looks pretty cool in the dark :)

I am going to keep the temperature in this aquarium at 78F for this experiment.

Have fun and happy aquarium gardens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment